What's new
What's new

10k Help!

Rimari

Plastic
Hello,
I've been lurking for while, and now have bought my first lathe; a South Bend light 10K. Any help with dating it or any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated!

This machine appears to have babbett bearings in the head stock, is that correct? Any advice as to how to check their condition? How to proceed after?

Further, it has a plunger type belt tensioner that has blown out the locking hole. Does anyone know how that might be repaired, or know of a work around for belt tension on this model 10k?

It appears to run smooth, but I think lubrication is a problem... it is very dirty and does not appear to be using any oil at all.Ser. No..jpg

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• HSL2.jpg
    HSL2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 174
  • HSR1.jpg
    HSR1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 146
Yours is nearly identical to mine. Mine is dated from 1963 and it uses brass spindle bearings. I highly recommend the link above for the rebuild package. If anything it will give you a good understanding of how the lathe is put together and give you confidence in fixing any problem that may arise.

Yours is nearly identical to mine. Mine is dated from 1963 and it uses brass spindle bearings. I highly recommend the link above for the rebuild package. If anything it will give you a good understanding of how the lathe is put together and give you confidence in fixing any problem that may arise.

More probably bronze spindle bearings. +1 on the rebuild package, even if you aren't going to rebuild. The guide by ILION Industrial Services will include how to check/adjust the spindle bearings. It is available on ebay.

Thank you for the information. The plunger belt tensioner on my headstock is blown out; the rod is there, but the smaller hole for a tensioned belt is damaged so it won't hold tension. has anyone seen a fix for this?

Back