Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 10k Help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 10k Help!

Hello,
    I've been lurking for while, and now have bought my first lathe; a South Bend light 10K. Any help with dating it or any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated!

This machine appears to have babbett bearings in the head stock, is that correct? Any advice as to how to check their condition? How to proceed after?

Further, it has a plunger type belt tensioner that has blown out the locking hole. Does anyone know how that might be repaired, or know of a work around for belt tension on this model 10k?

It appears to run smooth, but I think lubrication is a problem... it is very dirty and does not appear to be using any oil at all.ser.-no..jpg

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hsl2.jpg   hsr1.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

South Bend Lathe Model 10K ● Full Rebuild Package ● Manual, Felts, Oil, Grease ! | eBay

Look over this site for all sorts of info, check the serial database to get your date...make sure you are looking at the 10K numbers( yours is 1955-1956)

The SBL Workshop

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yours is nearly identical to mine. Mine is dated from 1963 and it uses brass spindle bearings. I highly recommend the link above for the rebuild package. If anything it will give you a good understanding of how the lathe is put together and give you confidence in fixing any problem that may arise.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Selene View Post
    Yours is nearly identical to mine. Mine is dated from 1963 and it uses brass spindle bearings. I highly recommend the link above for the rebuild package. If anything it will give you a good understanding of how the lathe is put together and give you confidence in fixing any problem that may arise.
    More probably bronze spindle bearings. +1 on the rebuild package, even if you aren't going to rebuild. The guide by ILION Industrial Services will include how to check/adjust the spindle bearings. It is available on ebay.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    More probably bronze spindle bearings.
    Right, bronze. I knew that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the information. The plunger belt tensioner on my headstock is blown out; the rod is there, but the smaller hole for a tensioned belt is damaged so it won't hold tension. has anyone seen a fix for this?