What's new
What's new

10k horizontal motor mounting dimension and bench size

badharley99

Plastic
Hi all

I have a 10k CL670A. I am building a new stand and trying to figure out how far I need to mount the drive from the bed bolt down location, also trying to figure out the correct depth to build bench. picture of lathe is attached.

Thanks

Nick

2C494B58-2C9A-4697-9C06-AA46E511E442.jpg

Horizontal Mount For 10K

Hi all

I have a 10k CL670A. I am building a new stand and trying to figure out how far I need to mount the drive from the bed bolt down location, also trying to figure out the correct depth to build bench. picture of lathe is attached.
Thanks
Nick

Well, I guess I'll chime in. I own a 9" and can only give you advice based on it.

Clearly, the distance you are seeking is determined by how close or far away you want the motor from the bed.
Everything else is adjustable, those being the belt length and the tensioner. For example, the base plate of my horizontal drive is about 9" from the bed. That's probably about as close as you want it. And I use a 53" laced (pin) belt. Belts can be made in any length you need and are cheap. (If you want to use a 1-piece belt as originally fitted, then I can't help you. Those require the removal of the spindle to thread on and off). There is also the issue of overhang of the large pulley on the drive; this may require you to keep the lathe away from the wall by a few inches. As you know, the tensioning unit is threaded for adjustments, and can be made longer or shorter as you require.

Is your horizontal drive not already bolted down to that stand? Is that a machine stand or just a desk? If you are going to build your own, will it be wood or metal? You could start off with a stand from Global Industries and then add additional bracing, and possibly shelves and/or drawers. Just depends on how much you can do on your own and your access to wood/metal working equipment, and what you want to end up with. It also depends to a certain extent on if you are going to rebuild and paint this lathe or just want to get it running to beat the hell out of it. (At the very least, you really need to thoroughly clean and re-felt the machine). If so, then you can really worry about the bench later after you've rebuilt it.

I can't tell much from your photo, but the bench seems to be sturdy enough. You might consider just repainting it and putting a new top on it. Many folks just use a solid-core door, or perhaps, a nice butcher block counter top. Home Depot offers a lot of different BB countertop sizes, but you may need to cut to fit and do a little trim work if you go that route. A door will be the cheapest.
If your stand is not currently deep enough for the horizontal drive, you can easily extend that portion of your bench.

My bench was custom made back in the 50's and measures 24" by 53", and stands about 36" high. Most people don't care for the L-shape configuration, but it is what it is. (Gee I hate that saying!). I made and installed new drawers myself and trimmed out the area under the doors. Plenty of storage space for me, though I guess you can never have enough. If interested, I can provide dimensions, but your 10" may be different. My bed length is 4 feet BTW.

One other thought about that horizontal drive; I'd first situate the lathe bed firmly and squarely on the top, then fit the rear drive. It is important that the front and rear pulleys are in perfect alignment by way of laying a straight edge across both, otherwise the belt won't track correctly.

You can get some bench ideas by going through the "sticky" (above) entitled "South Bend Picture Gallery". (Start from the latest posts and work backwards as many of the photos at the beginning are no longer available).

Please post more pics of your project as you go through it. Good luck!

PMc

View attachment 290868 View attachment 290869 View attachment 290871 View attachment 290872
View attachment 290873

Back