What's new
What's new

10K Metric Thread Dial

140mower

Aluminum
I've got transposing gears and metric thread dial for my lathe. I'm pretty sure (hope) I can figure the gear placement, but the thread dial is a little perplexing compared to an SAE one. Does anyone have a link to it's use or a basic description of it's care and feeding?

Thanks, Don

I've got transposing gears and metric thread dial for my lathe. I'm pretty sure (hope) I can figure the gear placement, but the thread dial is a little perplexing compared to an SAE one. Does anyone have a link to it's use or a basic description of it's care and feeding?

Thanks, Don

I am assuming you have metric lead screw, is that so? If so, then your transposing gears are for cutting inch threads, is that correct?. My point is that if you have an inch lead screw and metric transposing gears, a metric thread dial does not work and cannot be used. In the latter case, once the halfnut is engaged it must remain engaged until the thread is finished.

there was a metric thread dial produced by SB...its a somewhat complicated affair and the details escape me.

i would suggest contacting Ted for advisement on its usage....he may be able to assist, might even have the instuction sheet.

[email protected]

here is a link to the patent drawing..illustrating its complexity-

Inch/metric thread dial

I am assuming you have metric lead screw, is that so? If so, then your transposing gears are for cutting inch threads, is that correct?. My point is that if you have an inch lead screw and metric transposing gears, a metric thread dial does not work and cannot be used. In the latter case, once the halfnut is engaged it must remain engaged until the thread is finished.

My machine has an inch lead screw and gear box, so maybe the thread dial won't work for me. I have a metric box and lead screw in my boxes of spares, but really don't want to convert my lathe......

there was a metric thread dial produced by SB...its a somewhat complicated affair and the details escape me.

i would suggest contacting Ted for advisement on its usage....he may be able to assist, might even have the instuction sheet.

[email protected]

Inch/metric thread dial

......Yes, it's a funny looking thing. it has different holes in the side for mounting to the saddle, with each hole having it's own engagement gear for different thread pitches...... I got it with a large lot of spare parts I bought a few years ago.

In the latter case, once the halfnut is engaged it must remain engaged until the thread is finished.[/QUOTE]

You can dis-engage if threading to a shoulder and back out. Then reverse and engage at the point on the dial that you were using. Haven't actually tried it but Tom Lipton does a great vid on it.
YouTube

Harry

On another related point, when I received my new 10k from SB, I ordered it with every accessory I thought I might need including metric transposing gears. Now, I don't know who made the error SB or me, but the shipment arrived with no gear selection chart for the transposing gears. By the time I recognized the problem SB was bankrupt. I was SOL. Just a few years ago I saw a guy on eBay.com that was selling these charts as reproductions. He is not at the moment, but a little research may locate him. I bought one at the time and it is an exact match to the original.

I can supply this plate or any other plate you might need for your lathe. Contact me at [email protected]

On another related point, when I received my new 10k from SB, I ordered it with every accessory I thought I might need including metric transposing gears. Now, I don't know who made the error SB or me, but the shipment arrived with no gear selection chart for the transposing gears. By the time I recognized the problem SB was bankrupt. I was SOL. Just a few years ago I saw a guy on eBay.com that was selling these charts as reproductions. He is not at the moment, but a little research may locate him. I bought one at the time and it is an exact match to the original.

[email protected]

Inch/metric thread dial

Ebay is full of 3d-printed regular SB thread dials, it'd be cool if someone (this would be way beyond my skillset) could make a 3d-printed replica of this SB metric dial. Either that or come up with a way to run an encoder feeding signals to a Raspberry Pi or Arduino with some kind of readout.

Back