What's new
What's new

10K Question

Mike Lee

Plastic
I'm just about ready to try out my first lathe. It was a gift from a buddy. His dad passed away 20 years ago, and it has been gathering dust and rust ever since. I've done the usual clean-up, but with no painting. Wicks have been changed, apron and gearbox are as clean as a whistle. I've polished all the bright surfaces and removed all the rust. The spindle looks brand new! It's been a very satisfying project. I have learned just how beautiful these old machines are. My first project will be to make a thumbscrew for the micrometer stop!
Now for the question: this is a motor below the headstock in a cabinet model. There is a cutout on the top left of the headstock cover. In the headstock just behind the spindle is a threaded hole. Surely there must be a use for this. Perhaps a swiveling tool tray mount? Many thanks. Mike

Got it. Thank you. The collet drawbar for the rarer than hen's teeth 6K collet. I think I'll turn it into a tool tray mount.

I think that photos would be more useful if you're trying to get your questions answered. They are much better than "that thingy over by the other thingy - what is it used for?"

I think that photos would be more useful if you're trying to get your questions answered. They are much better than "that thingy over by the other thingy - what is it used for?"

He was descriptive enough to get it solved, I don't see the issue.

Got it. Thank you. The collet drawbar for the rarer than hen's teeth 6K collet. I think I'll turn it into a tool tray mount.

The 10K lever collet closers seem to surface for sale on ebay more often than you would think, but pricing is frequently ferocious.

One 10K vulnerability has to do with the sort-of-ability to use the more common "3 collets from a 9 inch, with an adapter. If you use the manual threaded drawbar from a 9 in a 10K spindle, the different spindle inner I.D. + different bearing surface, and thinner spindle walls risk damaging the left hand end of your spindle.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks. As far as fotos go, my skills with the nuances of the tech world are nil. I can't seem to figure out the foto thing. Sorry.

Back