What's new
What's new

10k Question

aft53

Plastic
Is the 10k bed interchangeable with the 9? I have a 10k cabinet and headstock leg support along with a 9A 42" bed that I would like to put together. Any thoughts?

This is a picture of the top of the 10k cabinet so you can see the hole configuration plus the 10k headstock bed support and the 9A headstock bed support. I want to put a 10k headstock on the 10k headstock bed support and the 10k cabinet with a 9A bed.

IMG_4549.jpg

This is a picture of the top of the 10k cabinet so you can see the hole configuration plus the 10k headstock bed support and the 9A headstock bed support. I want to put a 10k headstock on the 10k headstock bed support and the 10k cabinet with a 9A bed.

View attachment 290645

Well, there's not much info to go by as far as what you are trying to do or what you have.
Are you simply trying to mount a 9A to the 10K cabinet? Or is your 9A an under drive unit?
Or are you trying to use a 9" bed to mount 10K components onto?

If you simply want to mount the 9" and use the under drive feature, I wouldn't even mess with the 10K foot.
Just get yourself a quarter-inch steel or aluminum plate and make an adapter for the 9" foot to mount directly
over the opening. Using the 10K foot would just complicate things and would look quite funky...and you would have
to do this with the TS end as well. If you need to bandsaw out the center cavity for a belt, you can make the plate
in two pieces.

If you are trying to hang 10K parts on a 9" lathe bed, I think you will eventually run into some problems as not all
10K's are compatible with 9", especially bed width. With all due respect, I'd rather see you stick with one model or the
other; not make a hybrid. But then again, I'm a purist. And it matters in regards to the serial number of the bed.

It's sort of like trying to shove a new Corvette engine into a '36 Ford chassis. Yes, it can be done, but not without a
lot of problems and parts that don't fit. Most of all, you're ruining a good '36 Ford and you'll never be able to sell it.

If it were me, I'd rather have a complete 10K. If all you need is a bed, they should be available on FleaBay for notta-lotta.
Just saying.

Good luck!

PMc

bed widths are the same for 9" workshop and 10K

10K is really nothin more than a slighty raised 9" with a slightly larger spindle bore.

both were available as horizontal or underdrive configurations.

bed widths are the same for 9" workshop and 10K

10K is really nothin more than a slighty raised 9" with a slightly larger spindle bore.

both were available as horizontal or underdrive configurations.

I could have sworn I read (from someone on PM) that one of the 10K models had a wider bed
than the 9", but I don't remember which model. Maybe I was just having a brain fart.

PMc

Back