What's new
What's new

10k switch question

JacobLattimore

Plastic
Hello everyone, I'm a new member sorry if this is not posted in the correct place. I have recently purchased a South Bend 10k model A (serial # 1905KAR7). I have begun doing a full restoration and all is smooth sailing thus far. The tailstock, apron, and saddle are all complete, and I am on to the back drive. The machine originally came with a 220v 3 phase motor with a phase converter. This was a problem for me since my workshop does not have 220v power. I am replacing the motor with a 2hp variable speed DC motor that I have recovered from an old treadmill. I have used treadmill motors on several of my machines in the past and have had good results. The are easily reversed by simply installing a dpdt switch. My question is about the forward/off/reverse switch that originally came with the machine. I would like to keep as many original parts as possible and would like to use this switch still. It is essentially a dpdt, 6 contact switch isn't it? Could I use this with my DC motor? Or should I just buy a new one specificly for a DC motor? Wanted to ask the experts before I fry something or burn my shop down. I have been searching for an answer, but to no avail. I really don't know that much about electrical type stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Voltage by itself is not a problem. But what is the voltage ? How many amps does that motor need to run .

If you're not sure, how fat are wires/cables to run motor ? What size wires ?

If the amps are kind of high, then use original switch to activate a pony solinoid. Think like old Ford firewall mounted solinoids. The starter needed fat battery cables, but you don't run battery cables through key switch. Key switch activates pony solinoid.

Yes you can do this....depending of course on which switch you have. However I would also caution you that starting and stopping a DC motor with a switch brings a new level of trouble in that unless you provide some sort of snubbing diodes at the switch, the arc resulting from interrupting the current to the motor will eventually eat away at the contacts in the switch. This is a much, much smaller problem with AC motors.

Don't ask how I know this.

Drum switch have different ratings for ac service, and dc service. Typically the dc ratings are a bit lower. This may, or may not
be, a drum switch.

Back