What's new
What's new

10k Tailstock Handwheel missing "knob"

aft53

Plastic
My 10k tailstock handwheel is missing the little knob. It is in otherwise good shape. How do you install one if I am lucky enough to find it? If not, what are m other options?

One option is to make a knob. You have a lathe. That's what they do. Then you can brag that your lathe healed itself. No other machine can do that, at least not as well. I have one that needs a few knobs. I will likely make them on that machine. Get fancy and creative. Make it a 2-piece with a steel center pin and a polished brass outer handpiece that free spins. Or get your inner artist tuned in and make a wild and crazy but better than normal functional way cool knob.

These were pressed on, so for any replacement you will have to drill through the wheel. Many replacements off of any machinery wheel will work. Or spend some money and get the complete tailstock handle. Turning an oval handle end isn't easy but a a dual angle bevel followed by grinding, sanding then polish, taking 3-4 hours is the alternative to a $10 part off ebay.

The two piece ones are a pleasure to use.I have old lathes at home but have used more modern ones with two piece crank handles at work.

hand wheels

Take a Look at McMaster-Carr and search for hand wheels in the on line catalog....

Back