What's new
What's new

10K taper attachment

Rabible Rouser

Plastic
I'm new to this site and doing my first post.
I bought a 10K lathe and then got a taper attachment for it which I bought on ebay.
Will the crossfeed screw on the lathe now work, or do I need to get another?
I don't know if it means anything but I have both large and small dial knobs. There was a parts machine that came with the lathe, that's why I have both.
I am new to running a lathe (home/hobby) and suggestions on some good literature to read to get me started are very welcome.
I have the How to run a lathe book by SB, but it leaves a lot to be desired.
Thank you,
Ron

The crossfeed nut and crossfeed slide are different. They are not interchangeable with the taper attachment. The crossfeed slide actually attaches to the taper attachment. The nut, Has a single screw accessible from the top that is removed when using the taper attachment. This allows the slide to move freely. If you do not remove that screw, the tapir attachment will be pulling against the lead screw/nut, and it can damage something.

the 9N and 10K are the same.
For more information, refer to this document. http://www.wswells.com/data/howto/9_taper_Install.pdf.

There is a lot more for you to do to mount the TA from eBay to your lathe than just the cross feed screw difference. The TA for the 10K comes with a new longer cross feed screw and a different cross feed slide casting. I hope you have all those different parts. The TA casting must be mounted to the carriage casting by drilling and pinning in a very precise location to prevent bind and the bed clamp must also be perfectly in line with the carriage or bind will occur. To do that the extension bar than runs between the TA casting and the bed clamp is first fastened to the TA casting and then the bar is cast in place within an oversize hole in the clamp with Babbitt. This is a big PITA and difficult to get correct. Expect this to be an all day affair. It would really help if you had someone with you that has done this before. It is much easier the second time!

Larger lathes use a differential cross feed screw that allows the cross feed to remain available and in use. The 10K requires the cross feed to be disconnected when the TA is used, leaving only the compound in use. The TA still works quite well, but it is more cumbersome than its larger brethren.

Thank you for the information. I'll have to get the correct screw and nut. I should have everything else. I didn't realize that it would be so involved getting the TA mounted. Once I get the 2 pieces that I am currently lacking and attempt to mount the TA, I'll most likely be back seeking help.

You don't need a different screw..they are the same with or without a taper attachment on the 9" and 10k

what you need is the slotted cross slide and the nut that goes with it.

you don't even need that IF you can fab an extension and a way to detach the nut from the standard cross slide.

post pics of what you have if you can.

I just machined a new top for my cross slide that has t-slots and an adapter for the taper attachment on my 10K. Casting for this are available from MLA (google it). You could get one of these, although it would require a milling machine to make it. I no longer have use for the original long top slide with the slot that fits the taper attachment. I would be willing to sell it if you are interested. It's in excellent condition and includes the long gib.

Jon

Last edited:

Back