What's new
What's new

10k vs 10L tail stock

mwill135

Aluminum
First of all thank you for all the response and support. I’m restoring as it turns out is a SB 10L (please see my other threads) turns out after beautifully restoring the tail stock it’s for a 9. Aaaaarrrg, getting frustrated. Need a new tail stock. Is there a difference between the tens? Is a 10L tail stock different than a 10k? Help please!!!

Yes there is a significant difference between the two of them. The 10L bed is much wider than the 10K bed so there is no way a 10K tailstock can fit on a 10L bed.

I’m restoring as it turns out is a SB 10L

Second photo in Post #3 is not a 10L, it is a 10K - and the 9 tail stock fits but is of course too low - as the second photo shows

The heavy 10 - like 10L - is a larger heftier lathe compared to 9 / 10K

Look at the headstock there is a small hole for what should be a counter shaft. If you look at an old SB catalog it lists as a 10L, even my model number matches the catalog

Look at the headstock there is a small hole for what should be a counter shaft. If you look at an old SB catalog it lists as a 10L, even my model number matches the catalog

You look again... the catalog number you gave was a 10K model number, not 10L. A CL770 is the model number for a 10K.

Yep I was misspoken as the pic below will show it’s a 10L. So what are my options for a tail stock? Can I use any part of mine?

1705C6AF-B6EF-4823-B3E0-D38C5C42C071.jpg

short answer is no.

could you make it work? yes...but you will be ahead of the game to source one from a 10K and sell the one you have.

Easy-peasy fix...

Just make a 1/2" adapter plate for the base. This will get your center height to the correct 5".

Almost did something similar with a 1" plate to get an extra 9A tailstock to fit my 11" Sheldon (before I was finally able to locate a correct one).

Back