What's new
What's new

10L and 10K

Hi There,

What's the difference between a 10K and a 10L? Everything. Night and Day. Two completely different machines.

The 10K was a Workshop 9" with a different headstock, tailstock and compound which increase its swing to 10 inches. These are popular because of their relative ease of getting into a basement type shop.

The 10L or "Heavy Ten" as it is affectionately called, is a heavier built machine. Beds were wider; spindle was larger; etc. They weigh about 80% to 90% more than the 10K. Nothing interchanges between the two machines. Ooops! I tell a lie. They use the same tailstock quill and lock. I can't think of anything else (except some hardware maybe). These were popular for vocational training and many school systems bought them.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

I didn't know they shared tailstock quill. I thought the only thing in common was "1" and "0".

The 10L is slightly oddball, and a few parts are unique to it (ie, not interchangeable with a 9" nor a 10L), such as steady/follower rest, collet closer, and these parts bring a real premium.

Great hobbyist lathe though (I have one)

Hi There,

According to the parts manual, the casting and handwheel are different between the 10K and 10L. The 10K handwheel has three spokes and the 10L has four spokes. The castings are very similar though.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Go to SouthBendLathe.com and look around, you will find out a lot about your lathe. From the main page, click on inquiries, then serial number. It will tell you what you have. In addition, check the catalog number. There is a lot of difference between a 10K and a 10L. (of course you have a heavy ten, because the camlock spindle was never offered on the 10K, which was designed to compete for the low end of the market)

Back