What's new
What's new

10L cross slide looseness & backlash

ronlyke

Cast Iron
I have a 10L with taper attachment (telescoping cross slide screw). The nut at the rear end of the cross slide screw (behind the taper attachment) has me puzzled. When I tighten it, it prevents the screw from turning. When I loosen it a little and retract the cross slide, I get a corresponding increase in backlash, and as I advance the cross slide, the nut will tighten on its own eventually binding the screw again. I suppose I could use a Nylock nut, or Loctite, and locate the nut where it does the most good and least hassle, but I don't think that's original. Can someone advise me of the correct way to do this?

Thanks

There's one standard thickness nut, and no room for another. There must be thin nuts available somewhere, then, huh? I'll check McMaster-Carr.

I just dealt with this issue on my Heavy 10 with taper. What should be on the end of the shaft (from inside - out) ball thrust bearing (Boston Gear #17195), bearing cover, heavy washer, 2 lock nuts. The bearing is available from MSC.

edit: mine is a 1963, earlier may have had a bronze thrust washer instead of ball thrust.

I only have 1/2" from the back of the taper attachment to the end of the screw. I don't think all that hardware would fit. I think mine's a 1965, although the attachment came off a single tumbler lathe I had before, so I guess that's a lot older.

Last edited:
Mine is from '57 with the ball thrust bearings. It has a nylock nut at the end of the shaft. There is a balance between minimum lash and when the thing will actually move. Fool with it, you'll find it. Just make sure all the proper thrust hardware is in place at both ends of the screw otherwise you've got no chance of it behaving. Also just realize that it will never have zero lash.

I have a 10L with taper attachment (telescoping cross slide screw). The nut at the rear end of the cross slide screw (behind the taper attachment) has me puzzled. When I tighten it, it prevents the screw from turning. When I loosen it a little and retract the cross slide, I get a corresponding increase in backlash, and as I advance the cross slide, the nut will tighten on its own eventually binding the screw again. I suppose I could use a Nylock nut, or Loctite, and locate the nut where it does the most good and least hassle, but I don't think that's original. Can someone advise me of the correct way to do this?

Thanks

As Ted says, there should be two nuts on the end. See the pic below. As for your backlash, your crossfeed screw and nut may be worn so badly that they need to be replaced. I had to replace both the screw and nut on my 10L.

SB_PARTS_LIST38.jpg

Back