What's new
What's new

10R Underneath belt drive adjustments

Vandegraaff

Plastic
Finishing up restoration of 1939 36" bed 10R South Bend with underneath motor drive in cast iron pedestal. There is a 1/2 inch threaded hole in back of casting.
In, "How to Run a Lathe", it says:
" Stop screw "E" eliminates play when lever "A" is in the lower position. This screw must be unscrewed several revolutions before any belt tension adjustments are made and must be readjusted afterward"

So this bolt acts as a hard stop when belts are under tension. The motor assembly must weigh 60lbs so where is the play and how do you know how it should be set.
Seems to duplicate belt adjusting screw on front right? Why do they have both?

Can't believe I stumped this knowledgeable group. Posibly as mine is a 1939 vintage, they no longer had this bolt in later models but my "HTRAL" book was the '43 edition and they mention it

I was out in the garage yesterday running my mothballed heavy 9. This machine has that stop. Near as I can tell the stop bolt actually sets the belt tension, and the front handle (that snaps 'over center' on the more recent machines) only serves to un-tension the belt. Just a guess.

But my machine ha an 8" threaded rod with knurled end to adjust the flat belt tension. Upon reflection, and the directions in HTRaL, it seems to me you first adjust the belt tension via the threaded rod, then use the hard stop of the back bolt so you don't get any vibration. Looks to me like an afterthought or ECO to solve a problem.

Back