What's new
What's new

11" south bend lathe quick change problems.

Don S

Plastic
Hi,
I have an 11"X 3' lathe Cat # 484YN serial # 46256. I don't use it much except for threading. I was trying to cut a 26 tip thread but for some reason when the lever is in the left position it will not engage the lead screw. It will engage when it is in the center and right position. The last time I used it to cut a thread in this range it worked. I have attached a picture of the quick change gears with the lever to the left. Does anyone have an idea why I can't gt the lead screw to engage? Thank you for any help. Don

Attachments

• DSC_0750.jpg
    DSC_0750.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_0749.jpg
    DSC_0749.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_0751.jpg
    DSC_0751.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0748.jpg
    DSC_0748.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 346
Not sure what you mean by "doesn't engage", but I had a problem with my 9A recently, in which the gearbox would lock up when both levers were engaged. If one or the other was disengaged, the lathe would run, but I couldn't use the lead screw. Turns out a piece of swarf had gotten between a the cone gear shaft and a gear and wedged between the gear inner bore and the groove for the oiling felt. Locked things right up. Had a heck of a time getting the shaft out. Had to replace the shaft, but saved the gear.

Sounded sort of similar, so I thought I'd toss that out there.

Hard to tell from a couple of snapshots, but ordinarily drive system problems are highly visual in nature and it's normally not hard to spot the issue with the eye when doing it live. Don't suppose you have the capability to take and narrate a one minute video and link to it to demonstrate the problem?

When I changed out my tumbler lever, the new one was a slightly different casting, and depending on how far down I pulled the lever when changing gears, it would hit the oiling tube. That kept it from going all the way to the left. May not be the problem you are having.

Back