What's new
What's new

13" - 1940's vs 1960's Parts Interchangeability

mathamattox

Aluminum
I'm just curious how much parts interchangeability is there between the older "single tumbler" 13" lathe vs the newer "double tumbler". I know the spindles are different because of the larger thru hole in the newer, and of course the QCGB is different. I believe the beds are different in terms of the X bracing, but they may be the same in the dimensions of the ways.

Thanks,

Jonathan

I assumed that most of the parts are same. What parts are you looking to swap around? There are parts manuals out there that have detailed parts lists. I got one recently to help me and I think it was printed in the 50's. If you could find an earlier one and compare you could be more sure.

I have had good luck with accesorie interchangeability on my 1942 vintage single tumbler 13” machine. I have a big square threading dial of much later vintage that bolted right up to my apron. I had to make a bushing,and an odd length bolt to do it,but the lathe made its own parts on that one.
The micrometer carriage stop is also later vintage. It has a bracket that allows close up collet work on this old machine. The stop also works on the heavy 10 machine.
The 2A collets are still around, although they are rare. I even have a few square and hex ones in my collection. Am hoping to find a few more of those.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I have just seen a few older 13" lathes that I liked but I eventually want one with a hardened bed and camlock spindle so just trying to see if I can move parts from one machine to another with a good chance of interchangeability.

Thanks again.

Back