What's new
What's new

13" counter shaft bearings shot

Littledanny

Plastic
I just installed a new flat belt from albino. Great guy to deal with, belt works great. Anyways, while installing it I was horrified to find 1/4" of play in the right side counter shaft. The bearings appear to be Ok but seeing as there's 2 different kinds of screws in them I'm assuming someone's been in there. It looks like either a bushing is missing or it's the wrong bearing. Is there supposed to be a bushing in between the countershaft and bearing? I don't have a parts manual yet. I intend on ordering one today. Also where can you get those bearings at these days?
Thanks Danny

Also where can you get those bearings at these days?
Thanks Danny

Assuming you do, in fact, have roller bearings and not plain Babbitt bearings, they’re easy to get. SB used commonly available bearings. Just get the old ones out and see what size they are. $20 for parts plus two days to make the swap...ha. :)

Parts list doesn't tell the bearings...just gives you a part number...still should look at the list tho.

What Thomas said...it will most likely be a common ZZxx bearing.

Sounds like you are talking about an underneath motor drive lathe. The first UMDs had sleeve bearings. They were on the oiling chart. The newer ones have ball bearings. Hopefully that’s what you have. The swing shaft has Babbitt bearings and a set screw hidden inside. Swing shaft comes out easy if you loosen the serscrew. Change both bearings. You don’t want to do the job twice.

My 1957 10L has ball bearings, but not the common ones. They are the wider New Departure ones. You could fit standard ones and add a spacer but at the time I needed bearings I didn't have a running lathe on which to make them. I was able to find direct replacements somewhere on the internet, new production too.

It's definetely ball bearings. I printed the stuff from vintage machinery. What a great site. I'll be tearing into it soon. Looks like a big job. I'm thinking it'd be best to just order a rebuild kit and tear it down inspect, clean and paint everything.. It is a under motor lathe 1948 model year. Quick charge gear box. Also should I be able to lift the carriage up ff the ways like a half nch or is that bad?

If you’re stripping the machine down all the way, getting the underdrive assembly out is easiest through the bottom of the leg.

Working through the side openings is a back breaker.

It was really dirty when I got it and it cleaned up pretty good but I think I'lll tear it down so I can do a deep clean, change all the felts and paint it. Flip the base over to get the countersaft out

Back