What's new
What's new

13 inch South Bend

stan martin

Aluminum
I bought my South bend at an auction for 350.00 around 12 year ago.It was complete except for the taper attachment wasn't all there, or a steady rest. I have not needed either since. I use it a lot with my motorcycle hobbies, and my tractor business. It has only one leg on the end. Someone said this was probably from the Navy, and removed from a ship. Why only one leg. Does this sound right? Stan

Something happened to your photos. Please repost them. Otherwise, your post makes no sense.

You've never seen a South Bend with one leg? Most I've seen are 16" but I suppose it is possible they cranked out some 13's like that as well.

Are you saying you have a 13 with a single leg like this?

DANS-SB1.jpg

I've never seen one of those, had to Google and found that on this site. My 13 has 2 legs on the right, here she is naked and clean when I first set her in the shop
cb007f05ba60aad8e8e108030b0acbb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote "Someone said this was probably from the Navy, and removed from a ship. Why only one leg. Does this sound right?"

I under stand that the US Navy had the one legged South Bends for aboard ship, I have seen a few..Do not know why one leg.

Just shooting from the hip here, but I am thinking the 3 legger on a ship might have less tendency to induce any twist into the bed if there is any flex due to the ship being under way or in bad weather.
a $.02 opinion, no refund if incorrect

Interesting configuration. I note that the foot on the single leg appears to have a pivot.

Just shooting from the hip here, but I am thinking the 3 legger on a ship might have less tendency to induce any twist into the bed if there is any flex due to the ship being under way or in bad weather.
a $.02 opinion, no refund if incorrect

Also not a big deal if the steel deck is not actually FLAT

I was always impressed the USS Saratoga CVA-60 I was on MOVED like it was a solid piece of steel. You could stand on the fantail and look along that 1040 foot length and determine no twist or anything else in weather. Weighed 39,000 tons

Also not a big deal if the steel deck is not actually FLAT

I was always impressed the USS Saratoga CVA-60 I was on MOVED like it was a solid piece of steel. You could stand on the fantail and look along that 1040 foot length and determine no twist or anything else in weather. Weighed 39,000 tons

Yeah, if they're twistin' they're sinkin'!

There are websites for navy ships that no longer exist and some that do. Some of them have elaborate pictures of the machine shops. If you look at these you will see some creative installation of machine tools. Especially submarines. South Bend and others built machines to fit these needs. Some of these machines are still around to tickle our curiosity.

Back