What's new
What's new

13 inch southbend ? What do you think

sasanifab

Aluminum
So I sold my 10 inch and I’m looking for something bigger , I found this close to home. Does anyone know what a good price for this. I can get it for 2500 ?

I would check over the important parts very carefully ,as you probably well know, a fresh paint job can hide a multitude of issues. Jim

Is the bed hardened? What tooling comes with the beast? If just the face plate, then it is overpriced. +1 on the paint job, but it does look to be fairly well done.

That's a 14.5" or 16" short bed model. The crossfeed handle has been repaired. Why would someone paint the face of the dial? Incorrect oiler on the front spindle journal. I think it has the wrong thread chart on the gearbox for a double tumbler model
If it is a 14.5" make sure it has the 2 3/8 x 6 tpi spindle thread. I don't remember if the 2 1/4 x 6 spindle was only used on models with the single tumbler gear box. You will be hard pressed to find back plates etc. in that spindle size. The 16" lathe already has the 2 3/8" x 6 tpi spindle. As said above, be wary of a paint job. Good luck. PB

My options

That's a 14.5" or 16" short bed model. The crossfeed handle has been repaired. Why would someone paint the face of the dial? Incorrect oiler on the front spindle journal. I think it has the wrong thread chart on the gearbox for a double tumbler model
If it is a 14.5" make sure it has the 2 3/8 x 6 tpi spindle thread. I don't remember if the 2 1/4 x 6 spindle was only used on models with the single tumbler gear box. You will be hard pressed to find back plates etc. in that spindle size. The 16" lathe already has the 2 3/8" x 6 tpi spindle. As said above, be wary of a paint job. Good luck. PB

So I think I’m going to skip this lathe, the paint makes me a little Leary, I’m not an expert but I started on a southbend 10inch and outgrew it quickly.... very limited machine imo. What would you guys choose ? I have the option to get a Logan 820 from the original owner, and a Harding mill with bridgeport head and that’s with tooling. For 1900. My only concern is that the Logan 820 isn’t much different than The 10 inch southbend, am I wrong ? It’s in scary good shape. The other option is this southbend 14 inch for 2500. What do you guys think ?

The thread chart on the gearbox IS the WRONG one.(I can see it now on my big screen) Whoever worked on that lathe doesn't know $h!t from Shinola. If you're capable of fixing whatever might be wrong with the machine, and the ways are good, offer them $350- $450 for it. If they say "no", walk away. PB

The $2500 price tag is a result of 'Name-itis'... If your budget could handle $2500, Look for a Monarch 10EE instead. Even if it needs work, you won't be sorry. ;-)

Logan won't be any improvement over your old SB. If you can power up that SB 14 and the vari speed works correctly grab it. I've ran one of those very nice machine.

The $2500 price tag is a result of 'Name-itis'... If your budget could handle $2500, Look for a Monarch 10EE instead. Even if it needs work, you won't be sorry. ;-)

I am not seeing that now in my area, higher prices are being asked, but I dont know if 10ee, are really selling.
There are alot of manual lathes for sale now, I cant help but keep an eye on things, and machines are not really moving, some of the dealers will deal now.

If you really live in Connecticut, you are in one of the best centralized areas for buying machines, at decent prices. You don't need to pounce.

The South Bend in first post is a 14.5 or 16. Its a plain engine lathe, no taper attachment, no chip pan. I have two 16's currently. They are decent, and do well. The $2500 in your area is high though, especially no chip pan. Bed looks shorter too. The new paint doesn't bother me, machine may be fine, but the paint job over hand wheels, shafts, bolts tells me it wasn't a loving paint job. For that area I'd guess $1200-$1500 maybe. Owner may not budge due to the couple hours they spent painting.

If you out grew a 10. I'd be curious about shop space, and what electric power you are capable of. Your shopping so I'd guess you have room. Do you have a swing or length you want to cut, or particular work or jobs ?

That newer 14" sb, not as much traffic here for that, so I would guess only a few know it.

One pic the ways look super clean, might look harder at whatever that is.

2nd to last pic, can't tell.

Last pic lathe looks small. Probably would not go for that.

I'd give more details about your shop, tools, ability to move the machine, and what direction you may want go. Again, you don't need to be in a hurry in that area.

What about a Logan 820? Can u take a look at the pictures I posted ?

The Logan looks pretty.... but it has a small thru hole. It has no brake or clutch. There will be small dials to read.

The original south bend has a clutch.... and a lets flip it paint job. There are missing and miss matched oil gits. No tooling is bad. Sloppy paint can hid lots of ugly.

The Southbend 14 has a clutch and larger dials. You would have to pay $2500 to own it. Then easily another $500 or more to buy a tool post, 4 jaw chuck, drill chuck and centers for the tail stock.

None of the options you have posted are even interesting for me... and I live where there are no machine tools to speak of....

I did notice this . But no price in the ad means the owner will be asking too much...

Being patient might be your best option.

Make sure you get some tooling... the tooling package can often be worth more value than the lathe. In fact a broken POS lathe can be a great buy if the tooling package is right.

One of the odd twist these days is the SB lathes often go for more then the 16" American pacemaker in the for sale section here for $2000 for example, but there is the issue of around 10000 lbs and perhaps 20hp motor

Back