Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 13 inch spindle bearings

Browsing some previous threads but didn't find anything except complete restorations. Looking for members thoughts on my 13inch SB. This morning thought it a good time to check the headstock bearing. Dog plate on. Blocks of wood and bar. I can get as much as .0015 deflection on dial gauge depending how much force applied. How much is tolerable? What about thrust?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blocks of wood and bar.
    Please tell me you aren't stacking wood on the bend and using that as a fulcrum for a prybar! A piece of broomstick or similar sticking out about 12" and pulling up with your hand is the proper way to check.
    See p. 15 of attached.
    You either have solid cast iron bearings (less likely) or bronze bearings with an adjuster (more likely). If there are two small screws in the tops of your bearing caps, please read and understand the procedure for adjusting them and understand how you will damage the bearings if you just try to pull the caps off without releasing the adjusters.
    South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - Keep Your Lathe in Trim // Bulletin # H-4 | VintageMachinery.org

3. Likes clay27bsouthbend liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
    Blocks of wood and bar.
    Please tell me you aren't stacking wood on the bend and using that as a fulcrum for a prybar! A piece of broomstick or similar sticking out about 12" and pulling up with your hand is the proper way to check.
    See p. 15 of attached.
    You either have solid cast iron bearings (less likely) or bronze bearings with an adjuster (more likely). If there are two small screws in the tops of your bearing caps, please read and understand the procedure for adjusting them and understand how you will damage the bearings if you just try to pull the caps off without releasing the adjusters.
    South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - Keep Your Lathe in Trim // Bulletin # H-4 | VintageMachinery.org
    Thanks for the link. Too bad they didn't mention the use of a broom stick on the plate on the inside of the cover. There is nothing in SB book either. Probably don't have to touch the bearings according to these instructions. I will reexamine again tomorrow.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
    Blocks of wood and bar.
    See p. 15 of attached.
    Thanks for the link. Too bad they didn't mention the use of a broom stick on the plate on the inside of the cover. There is nothing in SB book either. Probably don't have to touch the bearings according to these instructions. I will reexamine again tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remove *all* tooling from the spindle and touch the indicator off on the spindle right where it emerges from
    the headstock. The up and down force are only there to overcome the oil film. Lift until the indicator stops
    moving, a few pounds at most. Zero the indicator and the push down until it stops moving. Read the TIR
    at this point.

7. Likes Charlesc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesc View Post
    The procedure for checking play on spindle bearings is on p. 15 of the document I linked.