What's new
What's new

South Bend 10 .... My Hunt is over !

Justonegear

Plastic
Hello folks,

Quick thank you to all that take the time to participate on the forum and other places. Your help and instruction are a valued recourse to myself and many others. Your willingness to take the time to teach and inform is priceless.

After a long coast to coast search I finally found what seems to be an excellent South Bend 10 with tooling. At this point I fix squarely into the Poser category. Having a nice lathe and essentially no experience running one. I have become a Youtube student and been reading everything I can get my hands on including most of the information that came with the lathe.

Here is what I know about it.

Serial # 22862 R
Purchased new from Golden State Machinery Co. in Los Angles on 5-5-1987, shipped from SB to William E. Edwards ( desist ) on 5-21-1987 to his home in Ridgecrest Ca,
Purchased 2 years after William's death at his estate auction in January of 2010 by Wayne T. who lived a few blocks from William but didn't know him. I purchased it from Wayne
on 2-7-2019 in Ridgecrest Ca, transported it to my home in Hurricane Ut.

From what I understand William was drafted into the Navy during the Vietnam war and worked as a machinist and continued in the trade after leaving the military.

With that brief introduction I have a few questions. I have read differing thoughts on these items.

1. The machine is wired 120v 1 HP, from factory. Is there any benefit to changing it to 220V ?

2. Wearing a shop apron while working ?

3. The lathe has self leveling casters on it. Should it be bolted to the floor ?

4. I've noticed some use cutting oil and some do not. Is it just preference and tool life...?

5. Was it customary for military machinist to remove the manufacturer tags from the machine they used when leaving...? I found 2 tags with some personal items in the tool box
that came with the lathe.

Thank you for any help.

Peace, David

I'll try to post a few pic's

I work away and don't have daily access to a computer so my responses may be delayed from time to time. thanks

20190208_152858_zpsjiozfsyi.jpg Photo by Justonegear | Photobucket

Last edited:
Photos help, but the first question I have is, Is it complete? What accessories do you have? How many chucks? What type chucks and their sizes?. Do you have a TA? Metric change gears? Lantern tool post or quick change? and many, many more questions,

No, it isn't normal to remove tags. your motor is fine for the moment, but 3 phase drive is much smoother, but to get that, you would have to run an inverter and change the motor. Please find the old SB book; How to run a lathe. It is quite small. Read it cover to cover at least once continually comparing what you read with your lathe. This hobby is more addictive than drugs.

We need photos but sounds like a nice lathe, Its good that you know the providence of the lathe and its not a beat up high school lathe..
questions #1 the higher the voltage the lower the amps, a 1HP motor should be fine on a 20amp breaker.
#2 shop apron is OK
#3 I have a 13 inch and a heavy 10, not bolted to the floor
#4 use cutting oil when drilling and tapping and with cutting off tool.
#5 no

it sucks how we have been losing the first post from threads lately....I think when first timers try to add pics it automatically goes in the "awaiting approval" thing only to reappear 2 or three days later....it's been a real PITA as of late.....hang in there OP...whatever your name was.:)

it sucks how we have been losing the first post from threads lately....I think when first timers try to add pics it automatically goes in the "awaiting approval" thing only to reappear 2 or three days later....it's been a real PITA as of late.....hang in there OP...whatever your name was.:)

Is that what happens? Almost thought I was going crazy....

Thanks for the info guys. I'll give it a few days and launch another post with pic's ..... I had tried to post some pic;s and respond and nothing shows up... we'll get-r-dun some how. Peace

My first post has been removed pending review of all the pictures I added.....I may not have been clear on the data plates. As far as I know nothing has been removed from my lathe. I found these data plates with some personal item in the tool box that came with the lathe.

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out how to post without opening up all my Bucket pic's. I need to spend more time on the correct process to do that.

Once you get approved, I guess I’d tge right word, you can upload on here.

I use imgur, upload as private, and copy paste the bulletin board code line into your post here.

Best to just download pics to here, it is easy to do off your computer. Most of the pics you can see here are downloaded directly, no other sites can do any "updating" that may disrupt older pictures that way.

Back