What's new
What's new

13" - Oil screws

waffle1971

Plastic
Does anyone know where I can find the oil screws for the compound and cross for a 13"? The part numbers are 122X504 and 122X102. Or - does anyone know the size and pitch of the screws? I tried every screw in my parts bin - but can't figure it out. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Oil screws - May 2020.jpg
    Oil screws - May 2020.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 40
Be careful because on my 10L (vintage 1940's) the screws and 10-32. Of course, a 10L is not a 13 so yours may still be something different.

Thanks for your input, Gents! I tried 10-24 & 10-32. Must have 77 years of gunk in the threads. I will try again. This forum is outstanding!

Oh yes! If those holes have not had screws in them for a number of years, there will be all manner of crud down in there. You will need to figure out a way to clean that out. Carb cleaner with the spray tube would probably work but be very, very careful of your eyes if you do that. That stuff will shoot back at you in an instant and you'll end up at Emergency to get your eyes cleaned out.

Oh yes! If those holes have not had screws in them for a number of years, there will be all manner of crud down in there. You will need to figure out a way to clean that out. Carb cleaner with the spray tube would probably work but be very, very careful of your eyes if you do that. That stuff will shoot back at you in an instant and you'll end up at Emergency to get your eyes cleaned out.

If those holes haven't had their screws in them, then DISASSEMBLE your compound and cross-slide assemblies and give them a proper cleaning.

Carb cleaner is nasty stuff it wont hurt one of these lathes,but will hurt the operator.Just put some kerosene or mineral spirits in a common pump oiler,and flush out the oil holes.Pump gently until the stuff runs clear.If it wont run clear then, as someone has already mentioned, you will need to dismantle it.The old SBL booklets all recommend kerosene as a cleaner.You can even submerge a compound slide in kerosene very cheaply and safely.
I changed all my oil holes to socket head set screws years ago.Much easier to fumble with.I have T handle allen wrenches that work well,but regular long arm allen wrenches are just fine.Also use socket head screws on the saddle lock and the lantern tool post as well as the turret tool post and the qc one.Same 3/8 long arm works all of them.

Does anyone know where I can find the oil screws for the compound and cross for a 13"? The part numbers are 122X504 and 122X102. Or - does anyone know the size and pitch of the screws? I tried every screw in my parts bin - but can't figure it out. Thanks for your help!

122X102 is a 10-32 X 1/8 set screw 122X504 is a 1/4-20 X 1/4

Back