What's new
What's new

13" South Bend Lathe Quick Change

Old Iron

Hot Rolled
I'm thinking about changing the QC on my 1949 13" lathe to the newer style. What I'm wondering is what else would need to be changed and would what would be the benefits if any?

I know it would give me more threading options,I really don't see any other reason other that it mite be easier to use.

Thanks Paul

Thanks Gill I have Ryan's site in my favorites also wells site. You have a nice 13" there. I'm taking mine all the way down fot cleanup,Paint and repair.

So I figured if-n I was going to change it that would be the time.

Thanks
Paul

I've got a 13" turret and a little toolin to go with it under my bench if your need'n such a critter :-)
Gill

Paul;

I don't know what else would have to be changed to swap from a single-tumbler to a double-tumbler gear box but it wouldn't surprise me if you had to change the end gears on the banjo to get the correct shaft speed for the gearbox input.

I've got a 1946 13 with a single-tumbler and a 9 inch with a double-tumbler.

Frankly, I kinda like the single-tumbler better simply because you can get three speeds with the flick of the lever whereas the double-tumbler is slighly more cumbersome to change speeds.

If the double-tumbler possesses any significant advantage, I haven't figured out what it might be that would justify the time and cost of the modification.

Ed in Florida

13" Single tumbler QCGB

I recently got a 1931 single tumbler 13 inch lathe and started to rebuild the gearbox. I believe Im missing a gear but cant find any info on what gears are suppose to be in the gearbox. My questions are this if anybody has answers I would be very thankful.

How many change gears are there?

How many teeth on each one and the diametral pitch?

What is the bore of each change gear? (From what I measured 13/16 inch is the bore.

I know that is a lot and sounds if I am lazy but I need a base point to figure what route Im going to finish my rebuild.

Here is my lathe info

S/N: 50,601

Model #: 1#186-B

C.F. Gear: STD

R.P. Gear: 6

Lathe Size: 13.25" x 5ft

Maybe useful to you in sorting out

20201007_211801.jpg

I recently got a 1931 single tumbler 13 inch lathe and started to rebuild the gearbox. I believe Im missing a gear but cant find any info on what gears are suppose to be in the gearbox. My questions are this if anybody has answers I would be very thankful.

How many change gears are there?

How many teeth on each one and the diametral pitch?

What is the bore of each change gear? (From what I measured 13/16 inch is the bore.

I know that is a lot and sounds if I am lazy but I need a base point to figure what route Im going to finish my rebuild.

Here is my lathe info

S/N: 50,601

Model #: 1#186-B

C.F. Gear: STD

R.P. Gear: 6

Lathe Size: 13.25" x 5ft

I have a 13" DBL lever, haven't threaded with it for ages. I tried some 28tpi today and found out it was cutting 14tpi on the 28tpi setting. I had a work around by using the 56tpi setting, but now I am trying to figure out what's wrong or incorrect. Any thoughts? thanks in advance K

Back