What's new
What's new

13" South Bend Step Pulley and spindle question

Carb

Plastic
I am looking for the step pulley for a 13" with the Silent Overhead chain drive setup (pic attached) I am assuming that the under drive pulley is the same but I don't know that to be true so please correct me if I'm wrong and if anyone has a pulley they are willing to part with please contact me.

Second question is I am working on a 1919 13" model 34B and I know this is the best place to get the correct information so, I am curious as to if the newer D1-4 spindle will fit in this machine?

Attachments

• SBL 13 step pulley.JPG
    SBL 13 step pulley.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 220
Thank you for the confirmation about the spindle, I really didn't think so but a guy can hope right?

Fairly easy to back calculate upper cone step diameters if you have published counter shaft speeds and published range of lathe speeds for your lathe. You already know what your spindle cone steps are, or can easily find out

Example: Counter shaft speed published as 150. Open belt (I.E., not in back gear) published low speed is 90. Big spindle cone step is 8". ERGO, ratio small upper step to big end of spindle cone is 150 / 90 = 1.666:1 and ERGO, small upper cone step is 8 / 1.6666 = 4.8"

In general it will be a mistake to assume ANYTHING on a Series O is "like" something more modern

This Underdrive pub is referring to them as being NEW in 1931

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/cat_bl_101/cat_bl_101.pdf

SBL%2013%20step%20pulley[1].JPGThanks guys that's a lot of good information... I really just want to buy a step pulley for this machine (I know that's lame but I have so much stuff going on right now I do not have the time to actually make one and the only lathe I could even use is the one at work and I can't tie that machine up long enough to do such a project). The overhead silent chain drive setup (- the pulley) is from a newer machine and the one in the picture is the setup I have but when it was being sold someone beat me to the pulley, so I figured if there was a pulley to be had one of you guys on this forum would know where it could be found.

thank you for the info

Back