What's new
What's new

14.5 Southbend 5C collet question

JamesYanco

Plastic
I have a southbend 14.5 lathe. Just purchased a 5c 3 jaw chuck.

Lathe has a 5c draw bar, when I attach the 3 jaw chuck it tightens up but there is slop left. Feel like there should be some sort of attachment to go inside the spindle with a taper. As the 5c attached to the 3 jaw chuck is tapered. Thoughts and recommendations please.

Typically there is a spindle nose adapter the screws on to the spindle and contains the taper for the collet. I'm curious about the 5C fitting at all. I have a 1946 14 1/2" with a 2 1/4"-6 threaded spindle and a 5C won't fit. I think you could get 3C collets for it.

Typically there is a spindle nose adapter the screws on to the spindle and contains the taper for the collet. I'm curious about the 5C fitting at all. I have a 1946 14 1/2" with a 2 1/4"-6 threaded spindle and a 5C won't fit. I think you could get 3C collets for it.

Indeed - as late as Catalog 100-F (August '46) the 14.5 had a 1 1/8" spindle bore with 3/4" collet capacity

5FDC6DBB-A137-408D-BFC5-7E37A3ECE0B2.jpg

Hopefully this picture helps. There is the draw bar with the 3 jaw chuck. Also the coller that threads on.

There’s a piece missing I’m fairly sure.

I did see that add on EBay Tex, kinda figured that was the piece. Wanna sell me the one in your pic? ������

Hoping maybe someone comes along that has one for sale. Any idea if someone out there makes one? I did a quick check on MSC and KBC found nothing. Then again your post said it’s a special South Bend size.

Apparently - from page in HTRAL - ANY (10, 13, 14.5 and 16) of the 1" collet lathes used this same part - 1.629 at gage line and .602 taper per foot on dia - outside

Someone makes them still today, been a while, and I forget who. But I saw a post a good while back about it.

Could be Miller Machine and Fabrication, but I thought it was someone else. But I can tell you they made my spindle test bar, and it is real nice. I don't see it listed in their services page, but they are not fancy on their web service. They answer the phone if you call, and they answer questions:
Products – Miller Machine and Fabrication

I'm just curious about the 5c chuck. Is it for small work, or something special ? You using a regular chuck normally ?

It is for small work. I make little sterling and flame eater engines. I normally use a 10” 4 jaw independent chuck and would take the real small stuff into work. Work has a small Enco with a 4” chuck on it.

May remove the chuck and mount it in the 10” until I come across the piece I’m missing.

B744A85E-C537-4E74-8A09-D3BF871363AE.jpgUpdate: picked up a 5c adapter. With the thread guard on I kinda thought it would be more of a flush fit. Not so much sticking out in other words. Same with the 4 inch chuck.

Not sure I’m feeling it. Put a dial indicator on the piece of brass and it is showing .011 out. .004 on the chuck body and .003 on the 5c adapter back plate. Am I not setting it up correctly/do I have the wrong 5c adapter?

Hello James,

First thing, pull the 3-jaw off the spindle and indicate the tapered bore of the adapter for runout. It should be better than 0.0005" or something's wrong. If so, inspect the sleeve / spindle bore for burrs or nicks and stone them. Then blue up the sleeve and ensure proper fitment. There are a plethora of spindle tapers and they can look very similar to a wrong one.

Once the adapter sleeve is fitted properly, then install the chuck and recheck the runout. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

Back