What's new
What's new

14.5 Underdrive questions

Lanix

Plastic
I am curious to know if the side panels for the 14.5" pedestal are compatible with the 16"..or 13" pedestals? as it might make locating them a bit easier.
Of course, Im always watching out for new eBay listings, but not sure how broad my search could be. or perhaps someone here has some?

Another unrelated question, how important is it to have 3 belt grooves vs just having 2? the pulley that was installed on the motor is not original and has only the 2, vs the 3 grooves on the countershaft pulley. No doubt there will be more chance for slippage, but how much? or would it be noticeable? just wondering if I should be looking for a 3 groove pulley.

Just thinking out loud, not trying to hard sell...

If the 14.5 and 16 underdrive pedestal assemblies are, in fact, interchangeable, here's a thought. For the cost you'll spend on individual ventilator castings from eBay IF they ever come up for sale, I have a complete refurbished 16" underdrive assembly with 3-phase 2hp motor sitting in a crate. It was a full restoration started by another gentleman and member here who does fantastic restoration work including grinding/scraping. He got as far as the underdrive, then decided not to finish the SB when he found a bigger Monarch for a good price. I have the drive leg, outboard 1-piece leg (even though the photos show chip pan brackets, I do not have the two-piece leg required to mount a chip pan now. I also got the 6' bed with normal non-hardened way wear and the leadscrew.

My plan for this partial machine has always been to make a heavy duty wood lathe out of the other guy's leftovers. I'd mill away the trapezoidal ways to make toolrest-friendly flat ways, design and cast a new SBL-ish looking headstock with high speed tapered roller bearings suitable for inboard/outboard turning of larger diameter wood stock, and set it up with variable speed.

I could be persuaded to part with any/all because space in my shop is at a premium right now. I'm sure we could work out shipping via Fastenal's freight service or you can pick up in person near Tucson, AZ.

You can see pictures of the unit sitting in its crate in the background of these photos: Tom Utley on Instagram: “New old iron for $75. 6”x48” belt and 12” disk sander. Appears to be a Powermatic Model 30, but no identifying marks found so far. The…”

DM me if interested in talking prices. I think I could make it worth your while compared to what you'll pay buying piece parts.

Thanks guys.

@thomasutley Thats a very generous offer, but the shipping alone from AZ to SC would probably a big chunk of change alone.

@SBLathemand Thanks for the info. It is as I figured. And thank you, I will email you when I can.

I'm so new here, I don't know how to send a dm.. I'm not far from you (queen creek Arizona) and am very interested in the underdrive assembly, or the motor at the very least..just picked up a 16x6 yesterday! Had a1. 5hp that is not original to the lathe.. Dan

I'm so new here, I don't know how to send a dm.. I'm not far from you (queen creek Arizona) and am very interested in the underdrive assembly, or the motor at the very least..just picked up a 16x6 yesterday! Had a1. 5hp that is not original to the lathe.. Dan

Super. Shoot me an email so we don’t hijack the OP’s thread. Your timing is perfect because we’re about to move to a new home next month. I’m happy to not have to move this underdrive unit. :)

Email: [email protected]

Back