What's new
What's new

14" Drill Press 14F-3A

bob11x

Aluminum
I have recently acquired a very nice model 14F-3A drill press with a lot of bells and whistles.
It has the table adjustment "pump", multi-speed pulley attachment, and 2 accessory tool trays.
It is fairly quiet but I have new bearings ordered.
I need to take it apart anyway as the spindle shaft is not retained in the column properly. The spindle shaft with chuck floats up and down inside the quill.

I am unable to find any parts breakdowns for this unit (or YouTube videos). All seem to show the spindle pulley stub assy bearings being retained with 2 set screws in from the left and right side. This one has the bosses cast in but no drilled and tapped holes. There is one setscrew in from the front on the same plane. It wasn't tight when I bought it but I suppose it is the retainer?

I need to take it apart anyway as the spindle shaft is not retained in the column properly. The spindle shaft with chuck floats up and down inside the quill.

SB143A 1.jpgSB 143A-2.jpgSB143a-3.jpgSB143A-4.jpg

Anyone have PDF's for the 3A series? Any idea of the year?

Thank you.
Bob

Upon further research the spindle is easily accessed and tightened (and changed!) by removing the nameplate on the front and lowering the quill to access the setscrew (locking the quill with the depth settings).

I will give that a shot the next time I am at the press.

Anyone have a M2 or M3 spindle for it?

Bob

Anyone have a M2 or M3 spindle for it?

Bob

I don't know anything about this drill press. But for the M2/M3, are you talking about the morse taper, like mt2 or mt3 ? Sometimes stuff like that might be listed as #2mt etc. If so, what's it have now ?

I was curious what spindle speeds you have too.

I don't know anything about this drill press. But for the M2/M3, are you talking about the morse taper, like mt2 or mt3 ? Sometimes stuff like that might be listed as #2mt etc. If so, what's it have now ?

I was curious what spindle speeds you have too.

Yes, sorry - Morse Taper. It came with a Jacobs chuck spindle. MT2 was an option for the drill press new, and MT3 was an accessory option. I have some MT2 and some MT3 drills and such so if I could find one it would be handy.

Base unit is 4 speeds 720-4325 with a 1725 60hz motor. The Multispeed attachment makes it a 12 speed ranging from 255-5340 rpm.

I was very fortunate to find this unit. It appears to have been well cared for coming from a lab setting.
SB Drill specs.jpg

A suggestion: sell the multispeed atachment (big $$$) and fit a 3 phase motor and VFD to this machine. You won't have to shift belts and you'll not need the extra speed reduction if it's a sensorless vector VFD.

Nshop_drills.jpg

SB3.jpg

For exended low speed operation, a muffin fan comes on automatically when the VFD is powered, single knob speed control. Light switch removed, who wants to run a drill without a light, ever!

A suggestion: sell the multispeed atachment (big $$$) and fit a 3 phase motor and VFD to this machine. You won't have to shift belts and you'll not need the extra speed reduction if it's a sensorless vector VFD.

For extended low speed operation, a muffin fan comes on automatically when the VFD is powered, single knob speed control. Light switch removed, who wants to run a drill without a light, ever!

I had thought about that. I read Paula's and your threads and was thinking that it might be a way to get more usability at an almost 0 cost (what is the MS unit worth?).... but it is in such nice original shape I am not sure I can do it.

I have a Clausing mill that came with a single phase motor mounted and the original 3 phase. I ordered a VFD and accessories yesterday thinking one or the other will benefit!

Narrowing it down

Going thru catalogs it looks like mine is post 1962.
'59 shows the clamp on depth limiter while the 1960 has the pinion style.
Also the Quill bearing adjustment in 1960 does not have the locking screw in the center as the previous models.

The Easy up Table appears 1st in the 1963 catalog.

The advantage of the MT2 spindle is that you can stick MT2 tooling right in the spindle.

The disadvantage is that it takes about 4"-5" out of the work envelope.

I have the MT2 and I have a JT spindle I'll be swapping in once I rebuild it.

Steve

Back