What's new
What's new

16/32 conversion to a 16/24 South Bend Lathe

dist-wrought

Plastic
I have a 16/32 that I'm dropping down to a 16/24. Does anyone have a picture of the standard 16/24 gear setup for the drive train?

If you are referring to one of the brake drum turning units as per the thumbnail - none of them equate to 16-24 since they are old series O machines

Thumbnail is the largest I know of but there were smaller units based on the 16" Series O head stock

Attachments

• SB 42.jpg
    SB 42.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 182
No it's a 16" South Bend that has two 4" riser blocks under the spindle. How do you post pictures? I can show you?

Serial # 8423HKE12 =1956 model 16/24

It would not have had top oilers originally so not sure what's going on there.

Got the info from a previous post.

Your pics don't show much, can you take some new?

What I know of it's history is that it spent most of its life turning the main slip-ring for the turret of tanks. I knew the guy who replaced the babbitt bearings the last time before the company sold it. It was heavily modified on the cross slide and tail stock. The tail stock was another tool holder but didn't match centers with the head. I want a usable tail stock which is the main reason for the conversion.

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question; sorry.

The standard banjo gear sets don't fit on my machine.

The riser block I left on the lathe has gears mounted to it the one I took out doesn't.

I'm not sure I took out the correct riser and I need to know gearing for my banjo gears.

(Sorry if I'm sounding stupid)

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question; sorry.

The standard banjo gear sets don't fit on my machine.

The riser block I left on the lathe has gears mounted to it the one I took out doesn't.

I'm not sure I took out the correct riser and I need to know gearing for my banjo gears.

(Sorry if I'm sounding stupid)
You have the correct riser, but you gears are in the wrong position.
Gearbox should have a 64 tooth gear meshing with the 80 tooth idler. Then the stud gear should be 24T or 48T.
Ted

I currently have a 64t gear going to a 48t gear going to an 80t gear are you saying I need to switch the 48r and 80t gears

20171021_000942-1.jpgThis is what I have now the 64t gear and the 48t gear are keyed the 80t gear free spins. (the 48t gear isn't pushed all the way on) is this correct?

If so, Thanks, Ted your awesome!

Sorry....:oI deleted my comment to avoid confusion. The limit of my SB foo stops with regular 16"

I believe you have it now.

As Ted advised the 48t gear in the upper position(stud) will give you the coarse range of threads and feeds.
If you want the finer range use the 24t

Back