What's new
What's new

1918 16" Gap Bed that needs a little love

9GUY9

Plastic
I recently made a impulse auction buy and became the owner of this very old 16" South Bend. Upon rough inspection it appears to be in decent shape. My plan is the clean it up, get it operating then if all is well tear it down for a pretty paint job. Right off the bat I will admit my only knowledge of South Bend lathes (and lathes in general) is what I picked up in a single High school class almost 20 years ago, and a weeks worth of googling since I brought his home.

As you can see the belt drive has been converted to a chain. This kinda bums me out since there is now 1 and only 1 speed. Who ever did the conversion also eliminated the option to use the back feed by removing the bull gear plate and pin. But the biggest issue is some where along it life the spindle gear was, lost, broken, buried, or met some other fate preventing it from entering my life.

Does anyone know where I can find a spindle gear for this lathe?

I have measured my spindle diameter at 1.75", estimated the outer diameter of the gear to be somewhere around 2.25", and the width of the teeth on the mating gear is 1.15".

I would gladly appreciate any info folks may have. Thanks.

20170217_124015.jpg20170217_104114.jpg20170217_104142.jpg710.JPG713.JPG

That gear was not on he spindle, it was on the missing cone pulley. If you find and put a gear on the spindle, engaging the back gears will just lock up the spindle

Add thumbnail of a cone pulley with its gear

Attachments

• Pat Blacks cone.jpg
    Pat Blacks cone.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 175
Sorry about the attached images. I have been sitting here trying to get them right side up, with no luck.

The gear being attached to the pulley, kinda sorta makes sense to me. But I am confused how it would mount in the large bearing, unless who ever did the conversion made a sleeve to take up the missing material in the bearing.

Ahh, I'm back on board. Johnoder was referring to the small spindle gear gear to drive the back feed.

At the moment I am looking for the spindle gear to drive the power feed. I'm not going to bother going much farther if I can not source that gear.

Fortunately, all the gears on a SB are going to be standard pitches and pressure angles. You will need to provide measurements of what is on the lathe reverse tumbler now, and we can back into the replacement gear. Tooth count and OD of the three gears on the inner layer of the tumbler, and the center distance between the uppermost gear and the spindle will tell us what we need to know.

allan

Hopefully this is the information needed. The distance shown from the center of the spindle to the gears, is indicated as if the corresponding gear was engaged.

20170222_212457.jpglathe gears.jpg

I have about that exact same lathe, also a gap bed: SB 16 from around 1920. It looks like you have your measurements well handled - but if you need some measurements from a lathe of that era (w complete headstock)- ask and I would measure from mine what ever you need. I am not yet ready part mine out...but getting close...

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer. Would you mind snapping a couple pics of the cone pulley, and spindle gear? I could use actual pics and information in my search for proper parts.

Ok, you are looking for a 38 tooth, 14 DP, 14.5 PA, 1" face width gear. Steel or bronze preferred, because the gear will only be ~.25 thick above the keyway once you bore it for the spindle. I'd not trust a cast iron gear in that case. Unfortunately, 14 DP gears are somewhat uncommon these days, but they do turn up occasionally on ebay and the like.

allan

Thanks guys. The first one is too large and like mentioned has 40 teeth. I messaged the seller and he's actually who refered me to this site.

The second one has by my math a DP of 16. And the bore is too large.

Thanks kgize those pics help. Could I ask one more favor? Would you be willing to count how many teeth are on the cone pulley gear?

Both smaller gears on rear (left) of head stock are 38 teeth. The 'bull gear' at front (right) of head stock next to largest cone pulley is 67 teeth. That larger gear you appear to have in your pictures..

I know this thread is a year old, but I have a spindle for a 16”, has the bull gear, cone pulley, and the small gear on the cone pulley. It had a 38 tooth tumbler drive gear, but that is on my lathe now. If you need or want this spindle and all, let me know.

I know this thread is a year old, but I have a spindle for a 16”, has the bull gear, cone pulley, and the small gear on the cone pulley. It had a 38 tooth tumbler drive gear, but that is on my lathe now. If you need or want this spindle and all, let me know.

Thanks, After realizing how much trouble it was going to be to track down the necessary pieces to use the lathe I decided to sell it. I sold it to a gentleman who makes large wooden foot bridges. He planned to convert it to a wood turning lathe to machine logs for his bridges.

I also have a quite similar machine of 1914 vintage (ser# 3273). The change gears are slightly oddball 14DP. Also the spindle nose thread is even more oddball 2 3/8" 8 TPI. If you find a later model spindle with 2 3/8" 6 TPI threads it might be worth trying to adapt.

Back