What's new
What's new

1920's south bend lathe apron rebuild info needed

Kysculptor

Aluminum
I just picked up this lathe and I need to deal with some issues in the apron. The gear that rides on the rack is pretty crunchy. Is there a good reference or guide on how to remove and rebuild these older style aprons? I plan to make a video of the process so others who want to do it can have a starting point. image.jpgimage.jpg

I'm in the process of rebuilding a similar apron from a 1927 heavy 9. It's all pretty straight forward, with one big gotcha that got me. On mine the bolt behind the mode change wheel (Carriage feed, cross feed, threading) there is a bolt. Do not attempt to turn it. Mine was pinned into a cast iron bracket. I didn't turn to hard and the cast iron bracket broke. If my first attempt at repair doesn't work, I'll have to try and weld it.

Im also getting ready to start my rebuild on my 16 with a similar apron. I am getting a kit from steve on ebay, he sells the book, guide to renovating the southbend lathe. they don't have die cut felts for it buy he is making me the oilers. maby get with him and get a book and kit! Good luck!

My copy of the book does not cover the Series O apron. I don't think I've every seen an exploded view or rebuild guide for one.

allan

Here are the only 3 pictures I have of the back of my 1922 9'' apron when I had it apart.

2ew13qg.jpg

zjea2b.jpg

fbbwwy.jpg

This is my first lathe and I had no trouble with disassembly or reassembly. If you run into a specific problem just ask and we will try to answer.

The apron on my "O" series is a bit different. Where yours has a simple lever to engage the clutch, mine has a integral lock-out for the half-nut.

The later 20's and 30's O series (G-3) had a safety interlock on the split nuts, see photo and compare to SWIGIN's G-2 apron without the interlock. It's possible that the earlier apron without the interlock would have a star knob on the shifter, the later apron with the interlock might have a round knurled knob with the smaller star cast in the center.
Steve Wells

View attachment 92267View attachment 92268

IMG_20131124_210902.jpgIMG_20131202_145450.jpg

heres what mine looks like, I cant seem to get the plunger in neutral. I cant find a medium, either the crossfeed or compound feed is engaged. whats the deal?

It looks like your apron uses a plunger to set the mode of operation. Find the position where the interlock pin will move out of the half nuts. It will probably be the "center" position of the plunger. Try putting a bit of pressure on the interlock pin to push into the mode plunger.

I guess the first question is how to get it off the lathe. How do I remove the feed screw? Do I just unbolt the screw from the lathe and remove them together or run the saddle all the way to the end
and just slide it off? Should I remove the saddle as well?

On mine the QC gear box is unbolted from the lathe bed. As long as the half nut is not closed the lead screw will slide right out of the apron. Then there are 2 bolts in the cross feed that attach the apron.

I took the saddle bolts off while having a cart underneath the apron for stability, damn thing weights a ton! I unbolted the leadscrew bracket at the end of the bed and just slid the apron off towards the tailend of the lathe.

Hi guys, ive got this same apron on an old lathe i got the other day, and im looking for the clutch, the clutch sleeve, and the clutch sleeve bushing. Im also looking for the rack pinion gear (s) and the stud they ride on. Im willing to buy or trade. Ive got an awesome almost new "a" apron for a newer S.B. 9".

Ok, you've now managed to revive every 9" Series O thread on this board in the past decade :) Why not just post a new thread with your request?

allan

Back