What's new
What's new

1922 south bend catalog #61-Y

Tscjcampbell

Plastic
IMG_0308.jpgIMG_0307.jpgIMG_0306.jpgIMG_0304.jpgIMG_0303.jpg

Hello,

I recently purchased a south bend lathe 61-Y, and I am in need of a new lathe apron worm gear assembly. From what I can gather it's a 1922 9" junior.
I see quite a few worm gear assembly's for other 9" swing south bend lathes but nothing that looks the same as mine. Attached are some photos and dimensional drawing with sizes as close as I could with what I have. Hopefully one of you have a apron worm gear assembly from another 9" lathe and can take measurements of your to see if I can replace mine with another one from a newer model.

Thank you.

P.S I realized i forgot to get a inside bore measurement, I will update when I get home and measure it.

The 9 Jr did not have power feeds, 61-Y would be a 9" quick change lathe instead. Two steps up from the junior.

You might get lucky and find one, but I suggest that the worm you have does not look that bad. You should attempt to continue using it. Backlash does not matter much in that geartrain, as it is loaded in only one direction.

allan

Thanks Allan, I’ll try putting it back in and see what happens. It was skipping and popping when I removed it, although I’ve been going through the lathe piece by piece and the apron was pretty packed full of chips and old hard grease.

Ah, the problem might be that the bore/bushing or the bearing surface on the OD of the worm is worn. These Series O machines only hold the worm at one end, and a bit of slop there will let it flex away from the gear. You might be able to make a bushing to fix that, for less than a new worm.

allan

Back