What's new
What's new

1933 South bend 9 single apron clutch shaft removal

buffcleb

Plastic
Howdy... this is my first post... I have an older south bend 9 that I'm cleaning up... I picked up that book on ebay but it seems my model 9 is older then the book covers...

Right now I'm working on the single walled apron... the one with the star knob... I have everything apart except the shaft that attaches to the clutch. It has two nus on the outside of the shaft (one nut is part of a sleave that threads into the apron) and one gear on the inside... I'm about to just leave it as I can get that nut off.. is it pressed on, reverse treaded, held on by magic?

Thanks in advance

Some images

lIarWAx.jpg

wHueT8I.jpg

Suggest pics of whole machine.

You seem to have an O series "wide bed" 9" - NOTHING in common with the workshop series the book is based on.

Some images

lIarWAx.jpg

wHueT8I.jpg
I was advised to pick up the the 10L, 13, 14-1/2, 16 book, as it has more relevant info in common with the wide 9. However, it does not have the info on this single wall style apron. You will most likely need to search threads to piece together what you are looking for, unless someone posts links. I haven't needed to disassemble mine, so can't offer any personal experience.

Take a pic of tags on end cover and of the drive unit/motor.

As parts are not easily available if at all, recommend being very conservative in taking it apart, where you are now may be far enough unless something is broke.

thanks Steve...

mine seems to be fairly stuck... so I'm going to leave it assembled and clean it up in place... I'll hunt for a replacement then I won't worry as much about being aggressive to remove it...

Here's the name place someone above asked about

hrYKcoh.jpg

old old thread I know, but in case someone else stumbles upon this.

I got mine off by putting the outer thin nut in my bench vise and put a pair of sacrificial pins in the 2 holes of the shaft. Then I gripped those pins with a pair of pliers and turn counter-clockwise. Screwed right off. Then the larger nut that threads into the apron can be unscrewd. All right-hand threaded.

Back