What's new
What's new

1934 415 for sale, near mint. Not mine.

Metal-Masher

Plastic
This is not my lathe, and I don't know the owner.

It's listed on FeeBay as a 1934 415, unrestored, near mint, first year original, lots of goodies.

The price seems hefty at first, but I guess everything is relative.

I thought I would pass this along for the historical collectors out there. What do you guys think?

South Bend Lathe 1934 | eBay

he isn't high on mj.
if so would pay enough attention to detail to realize they didn't use side oilers in 1934.

paint fumes is my guess.:D

not to say you couldn't get black originally.

he isn't high on mj.
if he were he pay enough attention to detail to realize they didn't use side oilers in 1934.

paint fumes is my guess.:D

not to say you couldn't get black originally.

Yeah, the black paint and side oilers had me wondering too. Also, if you look close at the gear cover, it looks like a poor paint job.

I went back over my records and found that I bought one lathe item from him a while ago. My records also say, "Dont buy from this guy, he's nuts". LOL

I think he just typed one zero too many, although it is equipped with a 1934 futuristic electric motor with matching paint and that alone could be worth a lot of money. ;-)

The Harbor Freight motor speed control (to be used only with brush-type motors) makes me wonder about his overall knowledge and sanity (unless it is there just for a chance and the lathe is not plugged into it).

Paolo

Looks to be a 9" junior lathe rather than a 415. Mine is factory black It is a 1928 BTW. Guy is dreaming about the price.

Based on input from the members here on PM, it sure looks like this lathe was disassembled, mixed with other parts, the bedways were sanded or ground, and then it was repainted black. That's a very long way from the sellers description!

Is that how you read it?

Now the listing has been changed to "1938", instead of "1934" as it was originally. Now the item description tries very hard to convince the potential buyer that 1938 is identical to 1934. Geez.

The serial number is correct for a very early numbered Model C, which would indicate the headstock with side oilers is correct for the model. The lathe appears to have been gray, black overspray showing under the rear gear cover.

The serial number is correct for a very early numbered Model C, which would indicate the headstock with side oilers is correct for the model. The lathe appears to have been gray, black overspray showing under the rear gear cover.

My understanding is that side oilers are for the later models, like my 1948 9C. Am I wrong?

The man doesn't know that there are people out there that know these lathes inside and out. I may forward a link to this thread to him.
Your scamming lying cheating ass is exposed. Turkey!
No better than a thief.

Back