What's new
What's new

1934 workshop 405 9" chuck question.

superman7831

Plastic
My lathe has a 6" 4 jaw chuck with 1-3/8 spindle. Chucks for this spindle size are extremely rare. The spindle will accept mt3 shafts. I was wondering if it was possible to use a mt3 3 jaw chuck in the spindle in place of the thread on chuck?

My lathe has a 6" 4 jaw chuck with 1-3/8 spindle. Chucks for this spindle size are extremely rare. The spindle will accept mt3 shafts. I was wondering if it was possible to use a mt3 3 jaw chuck in the spindle in place of the thread on chuck?

You say chucks are rare, but you really mean chuck backing plates are fairly rare. This may be true. If you can't find a chuck that fits your spindle, then just make your own backing plate and fit almost any chuck body to the backplate.

Except for very light work, I would recommend against using a chuck much larger than a drill chuck with a Morse taper shank on it. You'll find the assembly to be too flexible and unless the taper in the spindle is nearly perfect, it won't stay tight. That's not to say it can't work to some extent but I don't think you'll be very happy with it.

Back