What's new
What's new

1935 SB 9C (or 405/205 whatever) - Plain / Fixed Countershaft - Disassembly?

Buffalonian

Plastic
signal-attachment-2019-03-09-115222.jpgsignal-attachment-2019-03-12-221307.jpg

I've refurbished the entire thing and painted it. Now I'm getting to the back countershaft and its pretty stiff. Question is ... how do I take this plain v-belt static motor thingy apart?

Any suggestions before I break out the hammer?

They can be tough, should be a set screw in the pulley, possibly one on top of another, be sure those are out, free the pulley up and it will pull right out.

IMO you should not try to remove the large pulley, they break real easy.

Even after you remove the set screw(s) there is almost always a burr left hanging things up. Go easy.

I'd flood it with thin lube or solvent, and see if you can loosen it up. There is plenty to break, and precious little fixable in this thing.

allan

I believe there's a taper pin on the v-belt pulley. My friend just replaced the bearings and shaft on his because the bearings were worn through and chewed up the shaft.

Payson.

That would be me. The countershaft had to replaced so I used an arbor press to push out the old countershaft. When I put the new countershaft into the pulley I had to very carefully line up the taper hole in the pulley so that I could use the original # taper pin and was successfull. Otherwise I could have used the next size up pin to finish. The bearings, although new to me just took a bit of fussing and came out fine.

Back