What's new
What's new

1936 model 415-YA Questions

Pudgy

Plastic
This 9" SB 415-YA Serial number 64488 (March 1936) is the first of 5 lathes I have restored or in the process of restoring. Here are the questions:
1: I need a tailstock, are all 9" SB tailstocks able to fit on this lathe?
2: The bed does not have the South Bend name cast into the side. I have seen some with a metal tag near the right end of the lathe. would this lathe have had such a tag?
3: I have lost the link of a gentleman who recreates various SB tags, can someone supply your sources?
4: How can I tell what the original design of the motor drive mechanism on this lathe would have looked like?

Thanks in advance for any and all help, you guys have been a great help in the past.:confused:

Link to 1936 catalog page on S. Well's site : http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/15R/15R_14.jpg
9" Workshop , horizontal drive . ( I use Ctrl + + + to make page big enough to read ; Ctrl 0 for back to normal )
You will be able to fit the tail-stock from another 9" Workshop ( narrow bed ) , but the bed on a 9 Jr. or other wide bed 9 is about an inch wider .
Re , Data Plates . Link to recent thread : http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/nameplates-metric-plate-available-128011/

Peter, Thanks for the help. Now the trick will be to find the correct " Narrow bed" tailstock. Lots of them on E-bay but I will have to get the dimensions between the V's and question each seller. Thanks again.

Does anyone out there have pictures or an old plate that would have mounted on the right hand end side of the bed of the 415-YA. The name South Bend is not cast into the bed and I have seen some pictures of a rivet attached nameplate. My lathe does not appear to have rivet holes, but they may be painted over. Is it possible South Bend made this lathe without their name on the bed? This is a January 31st. 1936 9" lathe. I have the build card.

I have a 415 (-RC or YC I think, 4.5" bed ) model for the same era that has the tag on the bed that is still there. Ill try to get a pic of it for you tomorrow.

Back