What's new
What's new

1940 9A Missing Plates

jkull

Aluminum
I'm working on a 1940 model 9A Workshop Lathe. It does not have a lubrication plate on it and has no holes where the lube plate might have been attached. The only plate on the end gear cover is a small distributor plate. Did South Bend ship lathes without lubrication plates? If any one has a lathe of the same vintage I would like to see which version of lubrication plate is on it. There's also two mystery holes in the tailstock end foot. (photo attached, rotated) These two holes are larger than holes normally used to attach plates. I'm not sure what might have been attached here. The plates that are on the lathe are the gearbox plate, the South Bend plate on the bed, and the distributor plate.

Attachments

• IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 119
Thanks for the replies. All of the South Bend lathes that I've seen (not too many) all had a lubrication plate, usually on the end gear cover. I'm still trying to find out what should be where the two holes are in the tailstock end foot. I haven't seen any photos of South Bend lathes that had anything there. Lathes with leveling screws had a round plate, but this lathe doesn't have leveling screws.

I just bought this a few months ago, so I'm new to the part names, etc.
It, too is a 9A, not sure of the mfg. date, though...
If you can tell me what or were to look for, I'll help if I can.20180117_124243.jpg

That looks similar to mine, but your lathe doesn't have the two holes in the tailstock end foot. I'm not sure what plate or attachment uses those two holes. Your photo doesn't show if there's a lubrication plate on the gear cover.

I just bought this a few months ago, so I'm new to the part names, etc.
It, too is a 9A, not sure of the mfg. date, though...
If you can tell me what or were to look for, I'll help if I can.View attachment 251426

Mine is a 1942 war production lathe, mine has the lube chart and the gear change plate on the gear cover and a war production board tag on the bed about 4” from the right end in the side of the bed. My lathe has no frosting on the ways and was scraped roughly compared to ones before or after the war.

Mine is a 1942 war production lathe, mine has the lube chart and the gear change plate on the gear cover and a war production board tag on the bed about 4” from the right end in the side of the bed. My lathe has no frosting on the ways and was scraped roughly compared to ones before or after the war.

I would like to see which version of lubrication plate was used on your lathe.
Thanks

Back