What's new
What's new

1941 South Bend Lathe

sekozma

Plastic
My father has a South Bend 10" Quick Change Gear Lathe. The serial number in the v-way is 111182. Based on what I found on-line I believe this built in 1941.

I am looking for a parts list, manual and 3 jaw chuck for this lathe. Also, if there are any sites that could have parts for this lathe please let me know.

I am happy to say that this lathe still works and looking forward to my son using it.

Any advise or help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sandor Kozma

The best thing to do first is to find the book HOW TO RUN A LATHE BY SOUTH BEND LATHE CO. it can be found as a down load or a hard copy on ebay.
Some one will post a link here soon...{when asked members will post a link} tell us the model number and experts will post lots of information for you...packrat2

I'm going through the same process myself. I recommend getting the rebuild kit as well from Amazon. It will come with a very detailed book on how to take each section apart, as well as how to put it back together again. When I ordered, it also came with a printed copy of 'How to Run a Lathe'. Most definitely worth the money.

Regarding the chuck, you can get a backplate from Grizzly for not much money, and there are under 100$ options for a 3 jaw or 4 jaw 6" chuck.

Back