What's new
What's new

1942 SB 9B Head question

SElliott

Plastic
I received the card from Grizzly stating my lathe is a model 477Y, horizontal drive. The head on this has threaded castings for gear cover screws unlike any I've seen as far as the 9" heads go. In addition, it has a slot at the bottom front, the v ways go through. This was sold to Westinghouse Electric. I'm just trying to see what sort of drive to hook it to.

Serial on bed is 127316. Serial card states it was a 477Y, (9" B), manufactured in 1942. Built without motor and switch. From online pics I've found that the headstock closely resembles a 13" SB underdrive from 1939. The headstock oilers in mine are on the top, not on the front. It sets on the bed v-ways nicely, but it has no banjo, and the screw gear is a 90 tooth. I didn't think heads, other than a 10K would fit on the narrow rail beds.

Well, I found it in an out building at my grandpa's...not currently working..I made everything move from being stuck, years ago... just got it back out and starting to.dig into it now...

barring sentimental value, unless it functions well, you might consider abandoning that one..you have the headstock and tailstock of a completely different lathe(its still south bend) on the bed and saddle of a 9" model B.

its an odd combination to be sure, amd lathes are plentiful in the ohio region.

barring sentimental value, unless it functions well, you might consider abandoning that one..you have the headstock and tailstock of a completely different lathe(its still south bend) on the bed and saddle of a 9" model B.

its an odd combination to be sure, amd lathes are plentiful in the ohio region.

The tailstock is incorrect for a 9B, as well? Any idea how to tell what those are actually for? I agree, it would be easier, and cheaper, to find an operating lathe with correct parts. However, I wasn't looking for a lathe as much as just bringing this one back to life.

i would hazard a guess the the head and tail are from a 1930s O series 9"....that while still a 9" lathe is a whole different animal..probably twice the weight of your B model.....if the parts were fit/adapted to work well, then what the hey, give it a whirl. :)

i would hazard a guess the the head and tail are from a 1930s O series 9"....that while still a 9" lathe is a whole different okanimal..probably twice the weight of your B model.....if the parts were fit/adapted to work well, then what the hey, give it a whirl. :)

The headstock spindle has a 3/4" I.D., leading me to believe it is, In fact a 9" headstock, and I've only seen pics of similar heads up to 1939 with the top oilers. There are no change gears with this and the screw gear is a 90 tooth, so I'll have to do some figuring if I'm going to thread. I have no countershaft or associated motor and switch assemblies, so I'm looking for that. I won't really know how it runs, I guess, until it runs!🤔🤔..maybe someone will want to swap or sell me the correct head and tail sometime..again, just a project that sent me down a wormhole trying to decipher what it is..

Back