What's new
What's new

1943 model 8113C , 13" southbend lathe reverser question

buck2850

Plastic
Hello all .... So, I have been attempting to refurbish this 1943 south bend 13" lathe, model 8113C , and have been making decent progress, up until I reached the point of reassembling the lathe, and that is when I saw an issue with the reverser assembly that I bought, mine being awol for whatever the reason.
The issue is that no matter the position of the reverser, the gars do no match as they should ; By that I mean that the gears are always too close ; The three positions of the lever simply put is top position, middle( neutral) , and lowest position ; The gears themselves are of similar count, and could mesh if they were at proper position ; In neutral, the gears are touching, in the lowest position, they mesh, however to close, and the assy can not lock into position due to that reaon, and at the top location, the same issue, only worse ....
The reverser I bought came off of a 13" southbend lathe,so the thinking was that it should work, ???
Are there more than one design for these reversers...? If so, how do I know which I need?
Any help will be most appreciated!!!
Thanks!!

I am not able to answer your question, but to say that I ran into "issues" with my reverse lever. Not so much issues, but confusion and ignorance.

Every reverse lever I could find pictures of showed three gears. The stud gear and two twin gears The top two twin gears were both 27 tooth gears. However, mine has one 27 tooth gear and the other is a 30 tooth gear.

Others pointed out to me that this was often the case. Even though many of the other 13's I saw pictures of (mine is a 1941) had both gears the same.

I suspect, without knowing for sure, that the reverser you purchased may have been from one with a different design? Just a hunch. I am sure others will chime in, but thought I would share my experience.

Hey ! I appreciate your input!!!
I do agree with " confusion , and ignorance" .... this has been a learning experience for me at the least ; I too have paged through hours of pictures, and manuals , with everything appearing to be of similiar design, but in reality, I know now that probably some of these lathes were "one-offs".
I assumed ownership of this unit as a result of our buying our current residence, and the lathe was in the small shop here, in a disassembled state.... the reverser was missing, pointed out to me through the help of the vendor from whom I purchased the reverser that I have now, he thinking the reversers were all similar since he buys, and sells older equipment, and parts ; I have my unit close to being operational, this item being my only known obstacle, and I hope someone can point me in the right direction. The vendor is also investigating, as he was as perplexed as me.
Thanks again for your reply.

My 13 is an 8113 with a single tumbler box. The gears on my reverse bracket are three different sizes.1.808" 1.997" and 2.124".There are no markings on the casting or the gears, just lots of oil.

Hello ! , and thank you for your input!
Are the two top. "sister" gears of different diameters? Mine are identical .... these are the two gears that engage to forward,neutral, or reverse the spindle gear.
Would it be at all possible for you to post a picture of your reverser assy , so that I can see the configuration?
Thank you so much again for your post!!

I have a 1941 model, integral cast iron spindle bearings, 1 7/8" x 8 tpi spindle nose, single tumbler gear box. The top two gears are a 27 tooth and a 30 tooth.
The design may have changed when they went to the later 2 1/4" x 8 tpi spindle, double tumbler gearbox, etc.

Hello! ..... Yes, the more that I dig into this, the more that I realize that there must be notable differences in these old units ; I do know that mine is 1943 vintage due to the fact that I have a copy of the build card, but as you point out, there is little way to know the vintage of these parts being offered ....
I have my lathe almost ready for use, only lacking this one component ; I am wondering the odds of my ever finding the proper reverser.
Thank you so much for your input into my ever developing issue!

Hello! ..... Yes, the more that I dig into this, the more that I realize that there must be notable differences in these old units ; I do know that mine is 1943 vintage due to the fact that I have a copy of the build card, but as you point out, there is little way to know the vintage of these parts being offered ....
I have my lathe almost ready for use, only lacking this one component ; I am wondering the odds of my ever finding the proper reverser.
Thank you so much for your input into my ever developing issue!

In the picture is the reverse bracket assembly I think you need.
I have it for sale, but I am away from my shop for a few days.
Send me an email
Ted
[email protected]

Attachments

• D25BC4F2-EDC8-4C21-BB8C-BE048A1E8865.jpg
    D25BC4F2-EDC8-4C21-BB8C-BE048A1E8865.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 39
In the picture is the reverse bracket assembly I think you need.
I have it for sale, but I am away from my shop for a few days.
Send me an email
Ted
[email protected]

Thank you for your input to my reverser problem Ted ; The reverser that I got from you fit perfectly , and performs just as perfect. I appreciate your help! Just a couple other minor touches, and I will be ready for some turning, and boring! You are the "Latheman"!

Back