1945 9A Restoration - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Now for the tool post. I definitely didn't want to keep using the old lantern post, so I found an old Aloris piston QCTP on fleabay with some AXA holders. When it arrived, I could tell it needed some love, as the internal sleeve had a groove worn in it and the pistons would barely move.

    img_20190716_130640.jpg img_20190718_125906.jpg

    So I turned down the sleeve on my benchtop lathe and fabbed up some new handles and a top nut...

    img_20190719_114352.jpgimg_20190726_064929.jpgimg_20190726_090135.jpg

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Also had to machine down the t-slot base to fit my compound rest...
    annotation-2019-10-31-103943.jpg

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    Did you spray any, or just brush it?

    Also, good idea to get a chip tray as BIG as possible for your lathe. Chips have a habit of going EVERYWHERE!

    EDIT: You should have gotten the 25" x 47" drip pan. You'll wish that you had later on.
    I brushed the paint on...it's not perfect, but I like how the paint leveled itself out.

    And correction, I did get the 47x 25 pan...had to go back and check my Amazon order. I'm also working on a backsplash to contain them a little more. At the end of the day, proper maintenance includes cleanup

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Almost there...

    img_20190416_115142.jpg

    Thanks to Jim Kull (jkull) for the reproduction gearbox plate and wartime tag!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1525
    Likes (Received)
    919

    Default

    Looking good!

    I would have opted to build a stand for the lathe and use the desk as a desk. On the plus side the tops on them are very solid and if you ever do pull the lathe off of it, a new sheet of formica will cover any holes you drill in it. Those old sheet metal desks really look nice when they are done and are 100% better than the thin new stuff. We're refinished 5 or so around the building and they were all really quick/easy jobs.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    Looking good!

    I would have opted to build a stand for the lathe and use the desk as a desk. On the plus side the tops on them are very solid and if you ever do pull the lathe off of it, a new sheet of formica will cover any holes you drill in it. Those old sheet metal desks really look nice when they are done and are 100% better than the thin new stuff. We're refinished 5 or so around the building and they were all really quick/easy jobs.

    I was planning on building a stand for it...but a free steel desk was too good to pass up! I RTV'd all the bolt holes and around the feet so that I (hopefully) don't get any leaks into the drawers. It's still a work in progress...but a way yonder better than my Chinesium HF benchtop lathe!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    558
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    18
    Likes (Received)
    127

    Default

    Well, I'll go ahead and 5 star it before Jim does.

    Nice job.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lonestar308 View Post
    I brushed the paint on...it's not perfect, but I like how the paint leveled itself out.

    And correction, I did get the 47x 25 pan...had to go back and check my Amazon order. I'm also working on a backsplash to contain them a little more. At the end of the day, proper maintenance includes cleanup
    I recommend that you put the chip tray under BOTH feet. Put the left edge as close to the headstock foot as you can. That way, more chips will hit the tray.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    I recommend that you put the chip tray under BOTH feet. Put the left edge as close to the headstock foot as you can. That way, more chips will hit the tray.
    LOL..it's already bolted down and RTV'd in place...besides, the pan is more to catch oil than chips. I can clean chips with my hands and the shop vac

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    I would have opted to build a stand for the lathe and use the desk as a desk.
    That bothered me a little, sitting here typing on a very similar desk, a desk that I love! It's built like a battleship and the drawers still slide as smooth as silk. My desk is a larger model, being 36" x 60".

  11. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
  12. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Spokane, wa.
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Good job!
    I love seeing people restore these old machine, too many are going to scrap when they still have some life left in them.

  13. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
  14. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    @lonestar308 clearly this is not your first machine restoration.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    @lonestar308 clearly this is not your first machine restoration.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, it is my first restoration. I spent a lot of time researching/reading forums about folks who have already done this, took my time, and in the words of my old platoon sergeant "Do It Right the First Time!"

    I bought the machine in May 2018, and didn't make my first chips on it until the end of July this year. So it was a long process, but well worth it. I'm still working on getting my bench set up the way I want, adding tools as I can, and enjoying every minute!

  16. Likes Yan Wo, DavidR8 liked this post
  17. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    882
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default Great job!

    Very impressed with your work!
    I going to used your paint code for my South bend shaper rebuild thank you!
    As with the othe gentleman did you spray it or brush it on?
    Thank you

  18. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3512B View Post
    Very impressed with your work!
    I going to used your paint code for my South bend shaper rebuild thank you!
    As with the othe gentleman did you spray it or brush it on?
    Thank you
    Thanks!

    I brushed it on with a good oil enamel brush. Took a few tries to get it right, but that paint self-levels well if I did my part.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •