What's new
What's new

1956 ... new toy

Tommyash

Plastic
Hi guys...
I just picked up a nice 1956 lathe and bought the build card from Grizzly.
The card was filled out fairly sloppy and is kinda hard to read. It says it is a TKX model and the serial numbers last 5 digets are TKX 12
The number on the card for the headstock could be either:
VIIT700. Or VIFT700
I want to get the attachments to run 5C collets in the spindle.
Any idea what part numbers I would need to run 5C collets in this?
I would rather have the draw bar with a handle instead of the draw bar with the hand wheel. Guessing EBay will be my main option, but I want to be sure to buy the right set up.
Thank you for your help, Tom

In some cases part numbers will help, but mostly not. Steady or follower rests you can usually read the number cast into it. But many parts simply don't have a number on them, or it may not be readable.

For collet closer parts I will guess you will never see a part number. You'll be looking to buy an assembly or major components based on swing size of your machine 14.5", 16" or whatever it is. There are dimensions that may help your purchase, like knowing your spindle thread size for thread protector when spindle taper adapter is in. Drawbar length, etc. But I think your best luck is buying parts listed as for a 16" if you indeed have a 16".

A parts pic of exploded view would be more useful in knowing whats supposed to be there, verse acually looking for part number.

Also, post pics of your machine or it doesn't exist. :D

Hi guys...
I just picked up a nice 1956 lathe...

Stop lying... Without pictures, it simply doesn't exist. Anyway, none of the numbers you gave make any sense. Read the model number on the plate on the gear box and read the serial number on the flat on the bed on the right front end.

Since you have a lathe now, you should be able to make your own collet drawbar. Good project for threading practice.

My dad made the drawbar for my lathe for me and all he had to work with was another lathe.

You don’t have to be secretive with your lathes model number nor serial number (unless you stole it...) just tell us the model number stamped on the far right of your bed.
Google “south bend serial number location” If your unsure, and if you have already received the serial card from grizzly then post a pic or photo copy on here of your serial card and someone will definitely help you out.

Also pictures of the lathe or it doesn’t exist! We can’t chase ghosts!

Thank you for your input...
I think it’s a 13” swing.
The serial number is:5706TKX12
Catalog number: CL175B
I know the OD thread on the spindle nose takes the same chuck as a Hardinge chucker and the indexing heads you use on mills.
I think the id I’d a MT 3 but I’m not 100 % sure.
On eBay it looks as if there’s a spindle nose with a 5C taper in the ID and the proper Morse taper on the OD that you would cram into the spindle nose to reduce it to accept the 5C.
Then on most the EBay listings I’ve seen have a handwheel style drawbar. Is this accurate?
How would I post pics on this site for all you unbelievers...🤨 do I have to pull them off a site like Dropbox... or can I pull them off my phone?

I know the OD thread on the spindle nose takes the same chuck as a Hardinge chucker and the indexing heads you use on mills.
On eBay it looks as if there’s a spindle nose with a 5C taper in the ID and the proper Morse taper on the OD that you would cram into the spindle nose to reduce it to accept the 5C.
Then on most the EBay listings I’ve seen have a handwheel style drawbar. Is this accurate?
How would I post pics on this site for all you unbelievers...🤨 do I have to pull them off a site like Dropbox... or can I pull them off my phone?

To add pics from pc to the thread: you click "reply to thread". On new window, click "go advanced". Scroll down, click "manage attachments". A small window pops up, click "add files". Either click "browse" in drop down to seach your pc for pic, or click + symbol to add up to 5 pics. After pics selected, click "upload". Then click "insert line" at bottom of small window.

To stagger pics along a post. Write something, hit enter twice to give pic nice spacing. Then use above instruction to add a pic. Write some more. . .add another pic. Up to 5 pics.

Might need to trim pic size if its like 2 or 3 mb, not sure.

There are two styles for closer. One is a handle, and is a hand wheel.

How would I post pics on this site for all you unbelievers...�� do I have to pull them off a site like Dropbox... or can I pull them off my phone?

If you use your phone then make sure you “request desktop website” in you web browser setting or you won’t be able to post pics. Afterwards when you reply you’ll see a bar of different buttons (like a tool bar) and to the right end of the bar you’ll see a box with a tree in it (it’s a picture) and next to that a old style film reel (movies).

Click the tree and upload directly from your phone. You can ONLY load 4 or 5 pics I forget.

And you MUST hit the upload photo every time to add the pic to your comment. Do that 5 times and then post the reply

We’re NON believers btw lol

Hummmm...
When I try the “request desktop website “ it comes up with “ page not found “
I’ll try to transfer them to my wife’s computer and see if I get anywhere.
Seeing is believing

pics...i hope

this has taken about an hour to load 5 pics on a computer thats older than the lathe...almpst

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 165
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 177
Here is the build sheet from grizzly

Hoping these pics come through The last one is the build sheet from grizzly. Will any of these pics help to find out what collet closure spindle nose I would be looking for?
I'M sure I could make one, not sure if they were heat treated or not, but it would be quicker to just find one on ebay and order it. Im 1.5 hours to the biggest city where I could even buy the material to make it,& Id rather pay for shipping on one made than just the material to start it.
Also, to make a draw bar,I would need the masurement to the back of the 5C collet which might be difficult to guess with out it sitting in the spindle nose adapter for the collet itself.
Thank you all for your input...Tom

Attachments

• 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 109
I’ve submitted these Serial numbers submitted to Steve on this forum’s 1st “sticky” post, but I’m not sure if they went through. If anyone knows him, please let him know I’ve posted the build sheets (cards) here.
I’m kinda lame with all this technology stuff.
Thank you, Tom

Its is a 13" engine lathe. So I'd search "south bend lathe 13" on ebay for parts. Also a user on this forum SBLatheman has a great deal of parts for a variety of South Bends.

No taper attachment, but chip guard attaching to compound still there. Thread dial, chip pan, looks like a bunch of accessories. Nice lathe.

What is that pipe looking thing standing up, looks like maybe draw tube for collet closer assembly ?

Pics should not normally take an hour to upload, I'm guessing it was cutting down 3mb size pics to something smaller if that much time.

Also Steve Wells provides a great service to the community on his own time. So he tends to get to it, when he gets to it, but he will get it. Could be a day or a month. :D

I just look at your postings, for the serial number info to steve. Go to this link:
Serial Numbers Wanted

Click reply to thread. Post the same pic of your serial card there. Maybe post one pic, the full shot of your lathe as well. Don't write a novel, just type in the basic info. 13"x5, Serial#, model#, date shipped,

Hummmm...
When I try the “request desktop website “ it comes up with “ page not found “
I’ll try to transfer them to my wife’s computer and see if I get anywhere.
Seeing is believing

When you see the page not found that’s good!!
On the “page not found” you need to hit the back button and then refresh the old page. When it refreshes it’ll turn into a “desktop page” with more options and things will be real clear!

Also that IS a nice machine. Weird the southbend serial card says it had a endless belt yet NO MOTOR?? Am I reading that correctly?

Here’s a video I just made to try and help you out

Seeing if I got the steps right for pics

0E751AAA-B4AD-48B6-B24A-2BE8F2B058A5.jpg
Hope this works!
The computer I was using doesn’t even recognize google chrome and that’s why it took an hour or better to down load pics.
This is off my I phone.... much quicker if it comes through.
Thank you for the video!!!
If the pic appears, it’s if a handwheel with the threads for a 5C , but wat to short for this lathe.

Back