1965 SB 13" rebuild update and question.
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default 1965 SB 13" rebuild update and question.

    Hi all:

    It's been some time since I've posted on my rebuild project. To be honest, much time has been spent over the past couple of months refurbishing the various parts and setting them aside, all to the neglect of posting my progress. I'm sure no one wants to see boring pics of once dirty parts looking all new again. Those will come shortly. So far, I've completed a collet closer and 15 5C collets, the entire tailstock, the QCGB with all new bronze bushings, bearings and felts, the apron and saddle (saddle is currently out to a machine shop to have the dovetails tweaked so I've just started on the headstock, which is now in pieces. Here's my question: Did South Bend use some sort of epoxy paint or heavy coating on the headstock base metal, prior to the finishing paint job? In stripping several coats of paint from this machine, I’ve come across a thick grey coating on the part of the headdtock casting directly below where the spindle sits. Could this have been put there as some form of protection against the perils of long term exposure to oil on the cast iron or the paint? This grey stuff just softens with paint stripper and takes much effort to scrape (more like chisel) the stuff off. Or is this just some heavy handed paint job? I suspect the former. Would very much appreciate comments from those in the know.
    When the headstock is back together, what`s left is a flame hardened bed with absolutely no wear (a good cleaning and painting and we`re good to go) and the undermount drive assembly.
    I hope to have the machine back together and in one piece by end of October. Will try to post some show and tell photos soon.

    Thanks to all for your input.

    Cheers,
    Raydel.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    moscow,ohio
    Posts
    5,904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    579
    Likes (Received)
    1887

    Default

    sounds like the filler coat....usually thick on the head and bed....nasty stuff....on the old ones I would swear they used pig dung...stinks like hell.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    sounds like the filler coat....usually thick on the head and bed....nasty stuff....on the old ones I would swear they used pig dung...stinks like hell.
    Hi 10K:

    You're right sbout the filler. I chisled a small area of the "pig dung" out before realizing that this thick stuff was intentional. Now I wish I hadn't done that, as it's just another thing to fix. Oh well, you often learn the most troublesome way.
    BTW, I had to sample the smell as you alluded to, didn't find it that offensive, but I am used to the smell of farm animals.
    Another fix that the headstock needed was to remove the two brass sleeves that contain the spring loaded spindle wicks. Some enterprizing individual had driven these two sleeves into the holes so that they were flush with the casting. I ran a 7/16"tap into them and pulled upwards while rotating the tap, they came out without much fanfare.
    I'll make two new ones and install them. Anyway, I'm off to get a suitable filler to cover the potholes and uneven surfaces on this headstock, kind of a pita job if you ask me. Can't wait to get coat of paint on, don't really enjoy bodywork.

    Raydel

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    moscow,ohio
    Posts
    5,904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    579
    Likes (Received)
    1887

    Default

    FWIW- I don't replace filler, don't have to....today's paints along with some creative techniques make it unneeded...I let the paint get tacky and then "stiple" it with the end of the brush...it will leave a rough "orange peel" finish, which another coat will fill and and smooth out.

    BTW- don't use rustoleum if you can help it, hate that stuff....never quite dries and you can't really sand it if needed....I'm currently using SW All Surface enamel....used to use Devoe but they kinda went kaput.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •