What's new
What's new

1978 South Bend 10k Just acquired. Help - Taper Attachment

Patsy57

Plastic
Hello all first Im new to the board and happy to be here! I have recently acquired my first lathe its a 1978 Southbend 10 (CL370ZD).

I am trying to fit the lathe with a taper attachment, but Im concerned that I won't aquire the right set offline because I have no idea what the part numbers are for my lathe. I went to Grizzly and did the serial number thing, which gave me some information but not anything usable.

Any help is appreciated! Also any insight aside from the taper attachment you can give me about my lathe would be appreciated. I am new to all this and eager to learn! I have also been searching the boards tirelessly :)

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 1.34.52 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 1.34.52 AM.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 131
When I zoom in on your serial card it gets really fuzzy but it looks like yours was shipped with a taper attachment from the factory. (TAP100NK) Often times they are removed and sold.

Just watch ebay until you find a complete taper attachment for a 9/10k. They are the same. You will need the telescopic crossfeed screw/handle/dial assembly to replace your one piece handle/dial/screw. There's a taper attachment on ebay now but it doesn't have the crossfeed screw or handle. I'd just wait and get a complete one. I see them on there very frequently.

9/10k taper att. doesnt telescope, it uses the same cross feed screw assembly with a different cross slide casting...to use it you remove the screw that holds the cross feed nut to free the cross slide, lock the taper att binding levers, and feed with the compound.

9/10k taper att. doesnt telescope, it uses the same cross feed screw assembly with a different cross slide casting...to use it you remove the screw that holds the cross feed nut to free the cross slide, lock the taper att binding levers, and feed with the compound.

Thanks for straightening out my error there, Chad.

to be fair it is a reasonable assumption the 9s and 10k would use the same type...don't know why they didn't.

One thing I view as being superior to the telescoping ones is the use of a box way on the taper bar...much more forgiving of wear and less likely to bind...very easy to recondition too.

?? Are you wanting to buy a taper attachment for a 10K lathe?

Yes I am looking for a taper attachment which is complete for a 10k.

Some have mentioned that I could use a 9” or 10” unit. I wasn’t under the impression they interchanged. Is that accurate?

My photos above didn't show the taper attachment cross slide that fits the binding post...

Today's ebay deals

This one missing slider block and binding post, but with the taper type cross slide:
MACHINIST Atlas South Bend TOOLS LATHE MILL Machinist 9" Taper Attachment | eBay

This one's all there:
Vintage 9" South Bend Lathe 9 inch Metal Lathe Taper Assembly | eBay

Sometimes just cheaper to buy it on the machine...

John

John
Are you sure that second taper attachment will fit my machine?

You would have to really want/need one to pay that price...

IMO- hold out for a complete machine,then rob the taper from it and resell it.

In the meantime Check out "this old Tony" video of his home brewed one...very simple and effective...cost some scrap and time.

Ps- yes, the 9" and 10K use the same taper...but pay attention, they are often listed incorrectly...case in point above...the first link is actually a "heavy 10" taper attachment...the second link is the type you need...and they are not a bolt on and go item either..."some" fitting is required, it isn't hard but don't go in blind.

You would have to really want/need one to pay that price...

IMO- hold out for a complete machine,then rob the taper from it and resell it.

In the meantime Check out "this old Tony" video of his home brewed one...very simple and effective...cost some scrap and time.

Ps- yes, the 9" and 10K use the same taper...but pay attention, they are often listed incorrectly...case in point above...the first link is actually a "heavy 10" taper attachment...the second link is the type you need...and they are not a bolt on and go item either..."some" fitting is required, it isn't hard but don't go in blind.

I just bought the machine so now I’m going to add back the taper attachment someone took off of it. It’s easier for me to just buy it, but I want to ensure I buy the right one

Let this experience be a lesson for all of us. There are some things that absolutely must be ordered with the machine when new. One is a taper attachment and the other is metric change gears. Sure, we all need chucks, faceplates. collets, steady rest, travel rest and such, but those can be acquired after the initial lathe order. The taper attachment and the change gears are not readily available and no lathe is complete without them. Good luck to the OP. I think he's pissing in the wind. Trying to find a taper attachment is next to impossible.

Back