What's new
What's new

1982 South Bend 13” capilary oiler problem. Please help.

Chrispyny

Plastic
Hello all. In need of some help. I’m refurbishing my athe. I’m actually putting it all back together afer speding the last 2 years on and off taking it apart, cleaning, rewicking, and repainting it. I bought my wick set from ebay from the well known seller everyone here recommends.

Today i’m at the headstock and i’m at the capillary oilers now. But i have a dilema. I drop the oilers into their holes and they disappear. Actually the are sitting a min of 1/8” short of the bearing journal casting. I saw videos online where they drop in and need to be pushed down a solid 5/8” of an inch with wire until the spindle is in place. I compared the length of my oilers with images on ebay and online, and they are the typical 2 1/8” length. I’m at a stand still and was hoping to be close to done in the next few days. I made the mistake of tossing the old oilers. It was honestly at least 1.5 years ago when i took the headstock apart, cleaned, and painted it.

Were there 2 different capillary oiler lengths for these lathes? Why are my capillary oiler holes so deep? I have made no modifications to the headstock. I’m at a loss. Did i skip a step? Is there something else i am to be doing first?

Any help would be great!. Thanks!

I had to use wires to hold mine down during assembly. Maybe post some pictures and maybe someone can spot something. Also look up the seller on ebay and ask about multiple lengths.

Ted

F43C5B64-9216-4295-89E1-40D6F45E07D4.jpg

1D302934-F41A-41F5-AE67-4BE65C98032D.jpg

09296177-1D25-423C-831F-314A5020C76B.jpg

9FFF2150-F928-4B0B-B1C7-DA13DDAF6DA8.jpg

Typical 13” headstock. No different than anything i have seen online. Front hole at chuck 2 and 3/16”. Hold at gear end 2 and 3/8”! The wicks are only the standard 2 and 1/8” long! What gives. Ugh, figures cause everything else has gone almost perfectly. Sigh...

I shot him an email from here, no clue if it will reach him.. does anyone know his preferred method of contact? Does he take calls? Anyone have his number ?

Just send him a message on eBay. He has been great to work with in the past and has even sold certain pieces I needed seoerately. It might be you were accidentally given the wrong ones. Just be patient for his response.

By the way, does the number 87 mean anything to you?

I would have sworn I’ve seen a version of your screen name (929) on another forum where 87 is a running joke. Same state, had an 80’s model 13”.

False alarm. Carry on. Don’t sweat the oilers.

Stretch the springs, and shove a little extra felt in the bottom?

allan

I can’t risk the springs failing on such an important part. If i have to, i will place a slug of something down the hole first. A piece of steel rod, so i can get it with a magnet one day if need be. Ultimately something which will still allow capillary action of oil.

Heads up guys. An email via ebay got me in touch with steve. He is taking care of me. I guess it’s not the first time he heard of this. Longer cap wicks coming. I am waiting with the anticipation of a pubecent school boy...

Back