What's new
What's new

1983 Southbend lathe chuck scroll removal?

rsp111

Plastic
Trying to figure out how to remove the scroll on this unit for cleaning.
e560cf87a2fef966aa76edc1c82636b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It does seem to spin fairly freely, but ya will not fall out, tried to push on it from the key hole, it'll bind then and wont spin, push it back in and it spins.

Well I got it out, it took a little tinkering, it seems like a tight fit, would have been nice if they gave you some holes from the back side to push it out. Maybe I could add some for next time.

Well I got it out, it took a little tinkering, it seems like a tight fit, would have been nice if they gave you some holes from the back side to push it out. Maybe I could add some for next time.

You have discovered one of many frustration little things about lathes.
Drilling a hole might not help. It could create a path for junk to get into the delicate workings of a 50 plus year old scroll chuck.

Hopefully you marked the position of the backing plate and or other layers you removed. The spacing on those holes look uniform.... but they arent always. :D

The easy way to remove a scroll is to put 3 'blocks' on the bench so only the chuck back is on them. Put the back on the blocks with the scroll facing down and checking for interference. Then some gentle tapping on the back will cause the scroll to center itself and drop out. If it was free to spin, this is guaranteed to work! And won't, can't, damage the chuck...

It's never failed for me and was taught to me about 50 years ago. I can't imagine how many chucks I might have messed up.....

Pete

The scrolls are supposed to be a tight fit. It it is clean (no swarf), it should just fall out with some gentle coaxing.

Also do NOT drill any holes. As mentioned, all that does is give direct access to the precision area for dirt and debris. If you think it was hard to remove this time, just drill the holes and try to remove it next time.

The scrolls are supposed to be a tight fit. It it is clean (no swarf), it should just fall out with some gentle coaxing.

Also do NOT drill any holes. As mentioned, all that does is give direct access to the precision area for dirt and debris. If you think it was hard to remove this time, just drill the holes and try to remove it next time.
Yes that does make sense, I guess this particular one with only one key makes it especially difficult. It did seem clean.

What if you drilled and tapped some holes and put plugs in?

What if you drilled and tapped some holes and put plugs in?

I'm usually against modifying any major tooling like this unless absolutely necessary. A production mod is one thing, the tool can simply be discarded after the production run. And companies usually have deeper pockets than I do. As a hobbyist, I don't think that it can ever be justified.

It did seem clean.

I think this answers your question.

Back