What's new
What's new

2 serial # cards one lathe

Machdaddy

Plastic
I've been having a hard time understanding my 9"lathe so I sent away for the card. What came back surprised me. It appears there were 2 entries for this particular machine.51898.jpgMy theory is that the South Bend News Times bought the machine in Dec. 1932 and for whatever reason South Bend the manufacturer bought it right back for whatever reason and sold it to Mr. Julius Williams of Norwich Ct. which is nearby to me,in Jan of 1933.Is this the most plausable explanation? Anyone have any better ideas? I still don't know if it's just a plain 9A or a junior 9 or a wide 9, the bed measures just a scosh over 7" wide.
IMG_0758.jpg
Incidentally Mr Williams was involved in a labor dispute and the public record turned up in a Google search
Keep safe everyone there's a blizzard going on right now outside my window!

After a little Google research, it has been stated that the South Bend News Times operated at a loss from 1931 until its closure in 1938. My guess would be either they A: needed it to fix one of their printing machines with the intent of selling it back to South Bend kind of like a rental, or B: one of the pencil pushers deemed it frivolous and decided to sell it back.

Interesting. Certainly appears to be a re-sale ("slightly used", repainting not required) but they also changed the catalog number/model designator before it went back out. One of the experts on here can probably point to a publication that spells out the differences between the two configurations.

That is a wide-bed 9" lathe. No relation to the later 9" workshop machines, other than the spindle nose and tailstock taper. Sounds like the News-Times operated at a loss starting in 1931, and went out of business in 1937, so perhaps they sold it back.

allan

80YB would have been bench mount with ceiling mounted countershaft. 780Y would have been the same lathe, but with a bench mounted standalone chain-drive countershaft. The leading '2' may indicate that it is a used lathe?

I wonder if your lathe was in this sale: mailer_1932_used

allan

The Lathe was consigned to the South Bend News-Times as the jobber(dealer?) perhaps on display in their store front...?
It was then sold directly to Mr. Williams (Not through a dealer)
Ted

Thanks for the input! You've cleared up a lot of things and I do believe it is the item mentioned as item #12 from Allan's attachment! Might help explain the wonky drive setup...
Dean

As Ted posted, the lathe was an SBL demo lathe, then displayed/listed at the paper for sale. The demo lathe at this time would have been stamped without the drive configuration. The Model 80, 3rd generation was the last "O" series built.
They were retired and the R series replaced them. When sold, the customer also bought the new Self-contained V-Belt Silent belt bench drive seen in the photo still with the lathe. This is the drive configuration 2780. Allan, the 2 is for the new belt drive, the older self-contained chain drive was the 780.

Steve

Back