What's new
What's new

24" Swing South Bend Lathe Find!

Bowtie_Finn

Aluminum
Hey Fellow South Bend Fans!

In my travels of picking - I came across a "real" 24" South Bend Lathe thought Id share the picture !

This one is somewhat unique to all the others I have seen in pictures - where it doesn't have the "cabinet" style legs at the end, rather has the more "post" style legs - has anyone seen one setup like this before ?

Happy Sunday !

Attachments

• 24SB.jpg
    24SB.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 154
Guess you just had to say you wanted the "other" legs

Here is the "normal" from 1930

24 SB.jpg
Series "O" of course

Note the weight of these substantial lathes

Hey John! Maybe lol - there are such few examples of these to tell 🤣 I think I’ve found maybe 4 real pictures of these and maybe 2-3 catalog pictures!

They are cool machine either way !

Hey John! Maybe lol - there are such few examples of these to tell �� I think I’ve found maybe 4 real pictures of these and maybe 2-3 catalog pictures!

They are cool machine either way !

They are actually quite common comparatively. The series o had all kinds of size lathes and was no stranger to 24” lathes.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/25080.pdf

This lathe looks like a “silent chain, cabinet model 24” series o” they made them even bigger for machining truck brake drums with the dual wheels still attached

I own one like that but without the silent chain drive and the taper attachment. I would love to get some detailed pictures of both so that I can make them for my lathe.

HomeBrewBlob

I owned a 16" South Bend gap bed and let me tell you that there is no comparison between a 16" gap bed turning 24" and a true 24" turning 24".

HomeBrewBlob

I owned a 16" South Bend gap bed and let me tell you that there is no comparison between a 16" gap bed turning 24" and a true 24" turning 24".

Of course, you don’t use a Swiss Army knife in a professional kitchen.
I was just stating that the 16 could turn 30” diameter. A true solid bed 24” lathe can’t turn 25” or up diameter work at all.

I own one like that but without the silent chain drive and the taper attachment. I would love to get some detailed pictures of both so that I can make them for my lathe.

Here is the taper from the 9 25 1930 brochure. I see it is also substantial at 150 LBs

I gather it IS NOT the telescoping screw style

20210502_121320.jpg

Back