What's new
What's new

3D Printed Dial Indicator Clamp for 13" lathe

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
While I am tearing down and cleaning my 1941 13" lathe, I'm also starting to collect some tooling, since I have none.

I've already picked up a few things, but one of the things I see manual machinists on the YouToobs use is a dial indicator clamped to the bed way to know when to stop the carriage. I've seen a few of these being 3D printed for the smaller lathes, but none for the 13". So I decided to make one myself.

I designed this in Fusion 360 in about an hour and a half (I'm still learning it) and printed this on my Dremel printer. Came out exactly as I planned. A quick trip to Ace Hardware, and it's good to go.

I uploaded the files to thingiverse if anyone is interested in making your own.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-24-at-10.50.13-AM.jpg

img_2979.jpg

I made this for a guy at work to go with his phone and drone controller

HINGE.JPG

hinge srpings.JPG

In red - spring grooves designed around a torsion spring I found on McMaster.

With the 3D printer there will be endless parts you can make.

Was never interested in buying one, now couldn't do without it.

How long does it take to print and how much does it cost to do it? You might want to offer those for sale on Ebay.

With 50% infill, I think this took 2-3 hours. But there's not much PLA in it. Maybe a couple bucks at most. I have no interest in making and selling these. My little 3D printer is fine for my use, but I wouldn't want this thing running all day making parts.

Besides, I'd rather just give the files away free and anyone can make one. A lot of local libraries have maker spaces where you can 3D print just about anything you want. There's a big one near me at Case Western Reserve University that has a couple dozen small printers, plus large commercial ones. You only pay for the material (they weigh it). But they also have several lathes, a couple Bridgeports, JET mills, a water jet, a full wood shop, TIG and MIG welders, etc.

Unfortunately, they are closed to non-students and faculty due to Covid. I cannot wait until they open back up again.

Back