What's new
What's new

3D Printed holders for thicker felt wipers

Peter.

Titanium
I thought I'd show these holders I printed up so I could double-up the felt to hold more oil. The bed is fresh-ground so I want to give it the best chance.

I drew up the plastic holders in fusion and printed them in PLA. I put slots in them so that the original brass wiper clips could slot in the end.

oilersketch.jpg

sbheavy10 way oiler 1.jpg

sbheavy10 way oiler 2.jpg

In order to be able to cut the felt to shape I also printed a cutting guide. I use 4mm felt and put two felts in each housing.

sbheavy10 felt cutting guide.jpg

Oil is filled via the filling hole in the top. If anyone is interested in the files there are here:

South Bend Heavy 10 way oilers by Petesworkshop - Thingiverse

I think that looks great! I can see where the screw goes thru the brass and felts and screws into the original threaded holes on saddle,
but I don't understand where the shaft comes in (on your last pic). It looks like the screw goes thru a top opening for oil fill?
Did you fabricate the brass? I did buy a set of extra wide way felts, but haven't fitted them yet.
Maybe and extreme close-up of one of the felts in place would help. Is this a 9" I'm looking at?

PMc

(PS: I bought a set of 3D printed felt holders for my 7" Atlas Shaper, and they fit like a glove!)

The last pics is just a cutting guide for the felts. Felts are the devil to cut accurately (or that I haven't found the trick to it yet) so I printed this guide.

First you punch the hole for the screw then the little post pokes into the hole and you can hold it in place with finger pressure whilst you cut around it. I used a square-ended blade in my craft knife, but I've since been advised that a sharp wood-cutting chisel will do a tidy job.

This is for a 1943 heavy 10 lathe, I don't know if the vees on the SB9 are the same.

Back