What's new
What's new

5c collet adapter stick out?

Lucaselef

Aluminum
How far is the collet adapter supposed to stick out? I got a bunch of original parts with my South bend Heavy 10, but this 5c collet adapter has me questioning if it's original. It sticks out quite a bit from the nose of the spindle. The gap between the back of the adapter and the draw bar seems to be smaller than the gap between the adapter flange and the spindle nose which makes me think an adapter couldn't go much further in the spindle without causing issues with the draw bar.

Anyone know if this is how they are supposed to fit, or if I maybe have a Morse taper 5 5c adapter?
PXL_20211201_031932889.jpgPXL_20211201_031854939.jpg

That particular gap does not bother me. Like any taper, you'll probably have a slight variance on parts.

Drawbar may or may not be an issue. But its a separate issue. If you can reach collets with a fair bit of thread, I would guess ok.

On the adapter, if you were concerned, the gap itself is not really a concern. But the fit in the taper would be. Use prussian blue, ink spotter, or what ever you got to check nice contact of both surfaces when its popped in. If your wife has an old lipstick you can use that too. Smear a thin even amount on adapter taper. Pop it in, and back out. You'll see how well you contact.

Looks a bit wider than my 13 (13 and 10L use the same nut IIRC), but I think it's fine. Here's a pic I found that shows the gap on my 13:

AM-JKLVW3OvbQK0VukNQCY5QW-TEjx97wCIjCDMppmA0b6RmtKiKl016KAfQNJUI5oz7eExfXUsQ7TA2G5waUysvYe2UKVI93iN8-mer4owQBf3i6Xl-s1ZNR4M9T4PzgN6mgRLm0ujwCbO9mXFrqvRCzcsP-A=w1143-h857-no

Back